sturgeon

S

shake a paw

just read that there were 2 sturgeon spotted in the cowichan rvr this year...and 1 caught in the san jaun...
i know it doesnt effect salmon stocks in the fraser(or does it)but could it effect smaller island rvrs...

shakes

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

I do not beleive sturgeon are designed to chase down and prey on larger fast moving fish. They are predominantly benthic feeders and if they consume fish (salmon) they are likely carcasses or smaller substrate oriented fish like sculpins and stickleback etc.
Exactly, they nose around with their snouts in the mud and their feelers waving looking for something/anything the way their mouth is situated there's no way for them to take even Smolts unless it's buried in the mud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

thanx 4 the info guys!!!just kinda shocked 2 hear bout sturgeon in island streams..i guess they r dinasours..there prob. in more streams than we know....wow!!!

dont mean 2 get off topic.. but can someone please give me the link so i can post some pics...ive got a bunch,and i found some large
chrome at dark 2nite:D

shakes

ive heard about sturgeon in several island rivers before. talked to a family friend who hosted the fishin canada show many years ago, and he told me all about that. apparently they tagged them in rivers and have found them in different rivers concluding they leave the rivers and ocean travel to enter different ones.
He's personally seen them in the cowichan aswell, by the sounds of it quite afew times. theres also a few fish stories of in the mid-early 1900's of sturgeon being caught right in cowichan lake.

ive also heard in the early 1900s.... that all along the fraser...from the salt chuck to the interior,in the dried up tributaries and flood plains,farmers and land owners have found them in the mud,in hibernation or whatever you wanna call it.but still somewhat alive.....
i personally have a hard time believing......but they are survivors...and anything is possible....

shakes

I also have heard of sturgeon being caught in cowichan lake. When my dad was growing up he used to fish with his dad at cowichan and they saw one about 15 pouns caught!
I would love to see one in real life! Pictures are only so good!

-Steve

Back