Steelhead Season in Review

So it is March and the winter steelhead season is drawing to a close. This has been my first winter away from the coast and I have had to live vicariously through all of you. I have appreciated all of the awesome steelhead stories and photos.

On the other hand, it kind of seemed like it wasn't the greatest year. Some top rods have said that the west coast systems have had smaller fish than usual, and with the exception of a couple pigs on the Stamp, I haven't seen too many pictures of slabs.

So, out of 10, how would you rate the 2009/2010 steelhead season?

Better year on the Stamp than the past few, with the exception of the near total lack of steelhead in the Sproat system (VERY likely due to release site selection - hoping to eventually make an inroad or two here for the future...). Good numbers, and quite a few of the large variety. Enough that several of us actually quit taking pictures some time ago (how many do you really need?).

Overall I'd say ~ 8 out of 10 over the previous four or five seasons - at least for me and those I fish with here. of course and as always, your mileage may vary... :D

Cheers,
Nog

id give the numbers of fish for the stamp a 8.5/10 but with the number of people and pure lack of etiquette showed by many(locals and visitors) the enjoyment of it gets a 3/10 in my books. Sure hooking 10-15 fish myself some days is great and all but when you cant even turn around to change a leader without some scavenger jumping into your spot its just not the same. As for the other systems ive fished so far id say 5/10, a couple trips with limited success. However it is only the beginning of mrch and the best fishing is yet to come on some of the VI systems.

Not great, but not bad. I'm averaging a little better than 1 fish per trip. But that is with blanks on the first 5 trips of the season. So, I'd give it a 6.

Chev, you came back.. Drop me a line, we have a little excursion planned for next weekend>> The dirtdog[:p]

quote:Originally posted by Blackleech

So it is March and the winter steelhead season is drawing to a close. This has been my first winter away from the coast and I have had to live vicariously through all of you. I have appreciated all of the awesome steelhead stories and photos.

On the other hand, it kind of seemed like it wasn't the greatest year. Some top rods have said that the west coast systems have had smaller fish than usual, and with the exception of a couple pigs on the Stamp, I haven't seen too many pictures of slabs.

So, out of 10, how would you rate the 2009/2010 steelhead season?
Drawing to a close? March can be the best month of all! The season has been good on the Vedder this yr, with lots of Slabs wieghed in to freds this season and more to come.I have been into several fish this season and have found them really hard fighting,tough to land sometimes.I would rate it an 8 out of 10.:D

Back