Stainless vs Aluminum Radar Arch?

Stoisy

Hey Everyone,
Did a quick search and found a little info on here, but not quite the specific info I wanted. So, I wanted to ask you guys what your thoughts were on Stainless Steel vs Aluminum on arch construction. I am wanting to have rocket launchers and radar mounted on it. Obviously SS will be more expensive, but any other pros/cons you guys have experienced would be a great help in making my decision!
Thanks,
Steve

fiberglass or alumnum boat. I like aluminum it's lighter and cheaper. Stainless is stronger and cleaner to the touch then polished aluminum.

If I was spending your money I'd go stainless. Nicer look and will always stay that way. Aluminum tends to look old after a short time. JMHO

I have always found that where ever you attach the powder coated object to something that the area around the bolts begins to bubble and the starts to peel.

Nice looking tower by atlantic. Have you tried this option?

"A few cosmetically blemished T-tops and Arches are available at significant discounts, Call Shelley Golden at 1-800-831-8889 for available products and pricing." (Atlantic Towers). I would also inquire as to where they get there stainless and what grade it is. All stainless is not the same (price reflects that!)

For your information. Stainless per pound is approx 40% more money than aluminum. Keep in mind a tube of stainless (example) 10 feet long will weigh approx 3x as much as a tube of aluminum, and thus the cost increases 3 fold. edit: you can get away with a thinner wall tube stainless to reduce costs comparatively to the tube of aluminum.

You will be looking at around $1500 to get that arch to your door after shipping and taxes (maybe they offer free shipping? did not see in my quick glance...) Seems like a fair price, but I would consider calling a local builder for a quote. Streamline Boats in Maple Ridge did my outboard pod for me at an outstanding price (it was close to xmas so maybe I go away with a steal) but worth a call!

Don't know where the hillbilly's live so I'm not sure if this is in your local. lol Best of luck with the project. Please post pics when you complete the job :)

edit: ...looks like I mixed up the original post by Stoisy and Gear n' Beer...my bad, the info is still useful so no worries

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey FB, thanks for the info. I'm on the malahat and shipping is free in the states so my plan was a walk on the coho to port Angeles. Not totally sure how/where to get it shipped to in port Angeles but its going to be a winter job anyway..... Hopefully someone on here has gone this route and may have some info. I'll call streamline also and see what they can do. The quotes I got here in South Island were close to $3000 for bare aluminum. I will do my own install. May even get pieces bent up and make my own launchers, radar bracket, and machine the flanges and get buddy to weld it for beer if I go aluminum. I would think the Atlantic towers would have to be 303 or 304, but that is a good point, should find out what it is and if it's china ss!

I went throught the process last year, aluminium or Stainless. In my case, I wanted the tower to fold down for wintertime storage purposes so how the hinge worked was critical. In the end, I chose to have one custom built in Olympia, WA by Who Dat Towers http://www.whodattowers.com/ and I couldnt be more pleased. looks real good and he matched some angles on my windshield to make profile look great, along with choices for lights, rocket launchers, and other. BTW, I put 1 Rigid LED light on my tower, and its killer. good luck. DAJ

I went throught the process last year, aluminium or Stainless. In my case, I wanted the tower to fold down for wintertime storage purposes so how the hinge worked was critical. In the end, I chose to have one custom built in Olympia, WA by Who Dat Towers http://www.whodattowers.com/ and I couldnt be more pleased. looks real good and he matched some angles on my windshield to make profile look great, along with choices for lights, rocket launchers, and other. BTW, I put 1 Rigid LED light on my tower, and its killer. good luck. DAJ

DAJ, Do you have some pics of your tower?
Did you install yourself?
Thanks.

I dont know how to post pictures on the forum, but if you send me a PM with your email I can. WhoDat installed. DAJ

Back