Spoon Question...

burnsy22

I am a bit of a beginner and have purchased some 3.5 coyotes for winter springs and I am replacing the hooks that they come with. I use a size 6 open eye siwash mustad single hook for my hootchies, is that too large for the 3.5 spoons? It doesn't look too big, but to be honest I am not sure.

Thanks

Do you mean 6/0? You should be fine if that's what you mean but a size 6 is for single eggs on the river.

In my opinion, that is too large for the 3.5 Coyotes. They came with a 3/0 9510 Mustad when they were Made in the USA. The 4.0 will handle a 5/0 when trolled relatively quickly. Otherwise, 6/0 is too big and will kill the action on your spoon...especially when trolling relatively slowly to stay on the bottom for winters. Depending on your fishing location, that 6/0 may be too large. Also, the Coyote 3.5 and 4.0 are flutter spoons designed for multi-speed---not warp speed. If you are fishing offshore, in open water trucking along at high speed...I have no doubt that you will catch fish with a 6/0 on them...your results may vary..

My .02....

I've landed plenty of unwitting big on a single 3/0 and 4/0 on these spoons when fishing for smaller fish and never had a fish bend one out when played correctly...the 6/0 is overkill.

Tight lines,

Back