Spoon Hooks

Red Monster

What sort of replacement hooks work best on coyote spoons? I have lots of 3.5 and 4 inch spoons.

Eagle claw actually makes a replacement hook for spoons, and it has a bend it. Don't know about other brands. So what works best? I guess you should stick with a siwash hook. Do folks ever bend their siwash hooks?

I was thinking of trying those round looking Gammy's with the barb on the out side, kind of like a circle hook put not.
want to try them on plugs as well, anyone try these?

I use Mustads 95100XXXS 3/0 and 4/0 they match up with the old hook. I have put a bend on some but can’t tell if it helps or not. I can’t say anything about long term as I switched all my spoons over about a month ago. A fish bent one last week but at least it did not break. GLG

GLG the only real difference between that 9510's and 95170s is the 95170 is a beak hook (bent). So thats why I like those!

Nikka in Richmond... I'm sure most of the other places with commercial gear would have them too. If your on the Island try Trotac.

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.

I like those beakers, GF. What size do you use for a 3.5 and a 4?

5417.gif

Good for Plugs too.

Thanks GF I am on the Island. Looks like there is no 3/0. All my 3 1/2" spoons use that size. Did you put 4/0 on your smaller spoons. If so any difference in production? GLG

I tend to always step up a size over what originally came on the spoon when I change them out. I haven't noticed any problems with production. Actually, I think the bigger hook might get more hook ups and has better holding power on big fish.

I think I have used the 4/0... however I try to use bigger spoons only if possible! But as was mentioned above by Dogbreath they work great for plug hooks as well and I think they come standard on Tomic Spoons.

VMC Perma Steel! Hands down for the longevity in the SALTWATER.

quote:Originally posted by KoneZone

VMC Perma Steel! Hands down for the longevity in the SALTWATER.

Permasteel by VMC aren't worth diddley as are Owner...hyped CRAP. Mustad or Eagle Claws in stainless...although some of the Eagle Claws aren't quite as strong... all the way. It's what the commercial guys use, and a good hook file, and everything is tickety boo.

Permasteel seem to hold up in the Salt Waters of Alaska and the Pacific NW real well. I would expect them to perform the same in BC Eh. I will agree that the Mustad Stainless Steel hooks are popular with the commercial fishermen though. I wonder if price is a factor?

Price is a factor and I also like the fact that they can be easily resharpened.

Soft stainless takes a wicked edge with just a few swipes on a stone.

Back