SOMASS CHINOOK BULLETIN #2007-5

R

RVP

CHINOOK FORECAST:
The 2007 forecast total return of Robertson Creek chinook to the terminal fishing area is ~103,000. The escapement goal is ~27,000. The available TAC in the terminal area is ~ 76,000 chinooks.

ESCAPEMENT:
The Stamp Falls chinook counters were installed on September 4. The September 06 swim assessment of the Stamp River upstream of the Stamp Falls fish counters reported 1800 chinook and 1100 coho. Escapement through Stamp Falls has averaged 200-300 chinook and 800-1100 coho per day for the past 3 days. Escapement estimates to Sept. 11 are chinook 3400 and coho 4800.

ABORIGINAL FISHING:
The Hupacasath and Tseshaht First Nations fished gill nets in upper Alberni Inlet on Sunday evening Sept. 09, Tuesday evening Sept. 11, and Thursday evening Sept. 13. The total catch for these openings was 8671 chinooks. The total First Nations chinook catch to date is 17,789.

COMMERCIAL FISHING:
There were no Area D gill net openings this past week. Area D gill nets have achieved their allocation. The total Area D catch to date is 16,485 chinooks. Area B Seine fished 4 vessels from 06:00h Monday Sept. 10 until 21:00 Wednesday Sept. 12. The catch for that opening was 1163. The total seine catch to date is 3817. The total commercial catch to date is 20,302 chinooks.

RECREATIONAL FISHING:
This past week recreational fishing effort declined significantly. The average daily effort since Monday Sept. 10 is 45 vessels fishing. The estimated recreational catch for the past week is 322 chinooks. CPUE ranged between .25 to .4 chinooks per vessel per day. The estimated recreational chinook catch in Alberni Inlet from Aug. 01 – Sept.12 is 10,713. The historic average recreational chinook catch for the same period is 10,331. Creel survey interview coverage is approximately 13% of angler effort for the past week.

NEXT WEEK'S FISHING PLANS:

Aboriginal – A Tseshaht and Hupacasath First Nations gill net fishery is scheduled for Sunday September 16 from 20:00h until 04:00h in upper Alberni Inlet. Both Bands are authorized to sell their catch. Barkley Sound First Nation FSC fisheries are permitted to fish under the authority of their Communal Licences and all catch is for Food, Social or Ceremonial use which cannot be sold.

Commercial - Area D gill nets have achieved their allocation. No further fisheries are anticipated at this time. Area B seines have a fishery scheduled from 06:00h Monday September 17 until 21:00h Wednesday September 19. Area B advisors have reviewed current abundance information and will send 3 vessel to fish in the upcoming week. The target catch for this fishery is 4000 chinook.

Recreational – The recreational fishery is at full daily limits for chinook and coho salmon in Alberni Inlet north of the Hocking Pt. boundary line. The Nahmint Area closure is in effect. Chinook conservation measures are in effect in other portions of Area 23, Barkley Sound /Alberni Inlet.

For more information please contact the DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440 for more information or go online to :
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/PN/A23&123BarkleyChinookPN.pdf for the Area 23 Recreational Chinook Fishery Notice or
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/PN/A23&123BarkleyCohoPN.pdf for the

Area 23 Recreational Coho Fishery Notice.

The Somass and Stamp Rivers are open to the retention of chinook and coho salmon. For more information regarding possession limits and area closures contact the local DFO office in Port Alberni or go online to:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/salmon_fresh_e.htm

For more information contact the local DFO office in Port Alberni at 250 720-4440

If you want your name removed from the distribution list please call the above number.

I know, I couldn't believe it either when I first saw it.
DFO continually takes things to the limit. This is why our salmon runs will never come back in any significant way.

Was on theflow yesterday nothing much happening sum coho in morning moving didnt see more than a handful of springs except a bunch in the lower closed area!Nice day for a swim though in the scorching heat!!

It would be great if the Mayor of Port Alberni, sportsfishing representatives, salmon ehancement organization people go to DFO office and have serious talks with Alberni DFO about commericals taking too many fish out.

I was up the river today seen a few and I mean few coho swim by not a chinook to be seen by the looks of it the commercial and aboriginals will get the next wave of fish as well these numbers above are pathetic sure hope the runs as big as they say its going to be but hey we all know D.F.O NEVER MAKES MISTAKES DONT WE:(

"76,000 TAC and 27,000 escapement"

The Worst part of that is that they are going on an estimate that 100000 fish are going to show. What if 50,000 fish end up only returning then they could potenially wipe out the whole run for the year!

I was up today got 2 coho and seen a couple others caught didnt see a spring anywhere in the area I was at [:0]

This should have been an unreal year in the stamp for salmon. Things need to be changed. Too many IDIOTS running the show.

What a shame to see such a gem as the beautiful Stamp/Somass River raped and pillaged the way it is. The commercial fishing industry certainly has had a great year it seems with your average river sportsman seeing diminished returns regarding chinook. Whats the point of buying a salmon tag with your fresh water license? I mostly catch and release and only flyfish and conservation seems to be a foreign topic on the Stamp. I have never seen a conservation officer on the river who no doubt would witness the snagging, "flossing" and other abuses put to the salmon. Do the people of Port Alberni really care about their rivers? Does the salmon festival raise any issues or does it blind the general public about the damage being done and allowed by the government.

I couldn't agree more Blackgum... the redneck attitude on the Stamp is equalled only by the Vedder or the Nitinat. Anywhere you have a large population of hatchery fish that can be kept you will find this attitude. I too love keeping the odd fish for the BBQ, but I guarantee if the Stamp became catch and release many of the "fishermen" you see now would disappear overnight. In any case, and it has been said before, without some type of retention the purpose of angling can be called into question and nobody wants that. I believe we can still have ethics and retention on the same river?

Blackgum in your post you atack the commercial fisherman and the sports fisherman as well as the people of Port Albernie yet you justify yourself ,Im sorry your not getting any Chinooks but the rest of us(sportsguys) are not either ,if you were, would you have posted your reply, put the blame where it belongs on the ministries who manage the fisheries once again just my opion

It is ulgly at the best of times at all Island locations. Fresh or salt. People are animals. I don't get it.
The respect they show for something they claim to love so much is disgusting!

Makes me think twice about being part of it. Probably why I took up flying planes. I've fished my entire life, guided for many years and I shake my head continually witht he things I see people do. Makes me wonder how I can even get a thrill from something I hold so dear to my heart when on the flip side I am putting the same pressure on the resource as everyone else. Ethically or not, I just don't know anymore.[V]

Darmin,you seem to have missed the point of my message. With my inexperience on this site I sent it as a response rather than a general post.Sorry I was not more clear.The "sportsmen" I have witnessed are not the main culprits but their actions show their lack of respect for the river. I did mention government as the underlying force of diminished stocks since it obviously is under their control.Did the commercial guys get their fish? My question of the people of Port A. caring about the river is an actual f&%king question. I was hoping for a more promising response to this. As well I can deal with getting skunked by the chinook as long as I know they are swimming by in decent numbers, ingnoring my fly.

Blackgum,I think we are on the same page with these issues as are many members on this site if I offended you I appologize as sports fishers we need to stick together p.s welcome to the site

Back