Shore fishing Cowichan Lake

Shaw creek is a good place to go if the water isn't too high. Down at the south end of the lake is also a good spot to fish from a very long wharf. Let me know if you need more info on where to find this wharf..... Steve.

Hey fishnfool id love to know where the warf is, i was up at the north end of the lake on the weekend on the youbou side, there is a sort of plateau with logs and its a drop off, no luck there! Any info would be great! Thanks

-Steve

Hi fishflyguy89,
Down at the south end of the lake near the town of Lake Cowichan is a spot called Lakeview Campgrounds and right beside them is a Wharf that you can fish from. This wharf might be part of the campground but we were there and I saw one guy catch a couple of fish in about one hour. It was November when I was last there. Use floating power bait just off the bottom and you should catch something. Google the lake in Google earth and you will be able to see the wharf..... its long enough to see from space....lol.( well almost anyways)... Steve.

quote:Originally posted by fishinfool

Hi fishflyguy89,
Down at the south end of the lake near the town of Lake Cowichan is a spot called Lakeview Campgrounds and right beside them is a Wharf that you can fish from. This wharf might be part of the campground but we were there and I saw one guy catch a couple of fish in about one hour. It was November when I was last there. Use floating power bait just off the bottom and you should catch something. Google the lake in Google earth and you will be able to see the wharf..... its long enough to see from space....lol.( well almost anyways)... Steve.

With the single barbless and bait ban on, I;m not sure if powerbait is legal or not. Doesn't it fall under the catagory of bait??? Not sure myself.
I've seen people shore fishing from the old dryland sort out of Youbou many times. Not sure of their success rate though.

Opps.... your right C Lyse, I forgot about the bait ban.... no bait no scents and single barbless hooks too. This means that eggs, worms and even power bait is not allowed right now. Hmmmm, That doesn't leave much left to fish from the shore with.... maybe casting a small spinner might catch you a fish. fishflyguy89 do you live up in that area? Cause the local lakes in Victoria have some nice winter fish in them. Langford lake fishing from a number of different wharfs and Prospect lake has some nice Trout holding near the bottom and you can fish with bait from shore this time of year in those lakes. hope this helps.... Steve.

Teah bait ban and single barbless hook as well no wild rainbow or cutthroat trout over 50cm {19.5"}. And power bait paste/eggs is bait.

Thanks for all the advice! Well i live in victoria and i have been fishing all those lakes of late, just looking for a change of scenery, i have had some success at lanford the past week or so, but sunday afternoon i was there with no luck :( Are you from the victoria area?

Yes I live near Victoria, Closer to Colwood really. I've pretty much fished all the lakes around here in the past. Langford was always a good lake to fish and if you have a small boat then it can be real good. Prospect lake is also another good lake to go to. In the winter time I like to fish from the boat launch. Can be very productive fishing there.... but don't tell everyone....lol. Not a lot of room there. Now I mostly go Salmon fishing out at Sooke. Got a new boat last year and its great out on the ocean. I also have a 14 foot fiberglass boat with a 30 hp Yamaha and a 6 hp kicker fully set for fishing and comes with 2 scotty manual downriggers. Tuen key and go fishing..... wanna buy it?..... $2800.00. Has a lot of extras and this spring I will be putting it up for sale so if you know of anyone looking for a small boat let me know..... Steve.

I might be into that boat fishnfool, i live in metchosin and spend most of my time on the ocean aswell! Im a younger guy so im still using daddys boat, its about time i got myself one! i am a little short on cash at the moment but in the spring i might be able to come up with somthing!

-Steve

nitnat_junkie/fishflyguy89,
I was planning on waiting till it warmed up a bit before Put the boat up for sale because I wanted to take a few good pictures of the boat before I put it up for sale. But to tell you a bit about the boat.... There is nothing wrong with the boat or the trailer I put a 30 hp yamaha 2000 last year because I blew up the old motor the boat came with. It comes with a 6 hp kicker motor that has never let me down. I was planning on keeping the boat for myself and just finished working on the boat and the trailer and it is almost like new. I just finished rebuilding the trailer and that included new rollers and over $100.00 worth of stainless steel nuts and bolts alone. New tires, rims and NEW bearings too. New lights, new wiring.Even the original seats have been reupholstered. Like I said.... this boat is almost like new..... Lots more too.... let me know if you want to look at it. Once I do get it ready to sell I don't think it will last long. ....Steve.

when you get some pictures let me know, looking for a little bigger lake boat, Ive got a 12 aluminum harbercraft with a 9.9 evinrude, that just isn't quite big enough for me and my boys, keep me posted, thanks

We caught 2 fish around a pound each, the big fish was 3.9 lbs and was still under the 50cm limit. Beautiful thick fish! The winner was Gill.
Fishing was slow but will get better soon.
Our club derby is easter weekend. Details are posted at Island Outfitters site and Bucky's Sport Shop has some tickets.
There is some info posted here under the general section.
If you make peaceful revolution impossible you make violent revolution inevitable. JFK

IMG_1574.jpg

Back