Shimano 4000's Drag issue

Pippen

Hey Guys,

Was out with a buddy yesterday and he has "new last year" 4000's. I told him some time ago to ensure he backs the drag off of them when not in use which I assume he is doing and rinsing after use.

Last night with the lines only down about 50' or so you still had to crank the drag 100% 'on' reefed right to the tightest setting. Anyone else having this issue? Not sure if it makes sense to take them apart and give them a good cleaning or if they need to be serviced and have drag washers (if they exist in these reels) replaced? I have not pulled apart my one 2000 that is a backup reel to look at the inside mechanism nor did I on his last night as it was dark when we got in. Not sure how the 4000's are built inside.

It's a bit of a pain as if a fish hits....you're drag is cranked down right out of the chute. When we were fishing deeper around 120 with the drags completely cranked there was creep....not terrible creep but there definitely was some. I'd hate to see what happens fishing deeper.

Just thought I'd check for him.

Cheers.

There was an issue with these reels when they first came out with the Dartanium drag washer.
if you can find some old style fibre drag washers they should solve the problem.
FA knows where to find them.

These new reels are the same as the old ones. The spools break as much as the old ones do. I sold a couple to a guy on here and I was unaware that the spools were broken as my reels were loaded with line on them. There was distance involved and I am very regretful that the seller ended up getting damaged goods. Had I known they were crap, I would not have sold them.

That Dartanium drag washer and metal palming ring are a bunch of BS....

If you can, get the old Shimano 4000 originals.....they are a much lighter reel and definitely give a much more balanced feel....matched with a Shimano Convergence in the Medium Heavy 10ft 6 inch they are awesome....a Technium is just icing on the cake. hard to fault that value.

Yeah I have one too. Never use it anymore. Went back to the 2000 and it is fine. Much prefer the islanders and the shimano's only see action as top rods when fishing stacked 4. I really 2 more islanders........

I see the "Good Guys" thread seems to have been lost thus far in the move to this software.....can't post there, so will do it here.

Have to give a big shout out to @Fish Assassin (yup FigJam is still around...haha ;)) as without hesitation yesterday he dropped me a line as he had a couple of the washers which he popped in the mail for me! :cool: Awesome.....just shows how good this forum can be!! :)

My buddy who owns the reels is not on the forum.....but extended his huge thanks to him and the forum as he is in the midst of moving into his new house and had no time to go searching for some this weekend.

Hey Pips be a good sport, with all your money go buy your buddy some nice reels :rolleyes: Hey who won the nhl draft yesterday:D

Hey Pips be a good sport, with all your money go buy your buddy some nice reels :rolleyes: Hey who won the nhl draft yesterday:D

Hahaha.......he HAS the money, I told him to buy better ones.

Congrats on the draft.....I was watching with my buddies in Leaf Nation; they were thinking the ex-Winnipegger in their midst was going to be the jinx and the Jets would get #1. :p

Back