Shawnigan Lake Petition

are there any first nations reserves in that area? seems like first nations are the only ones the government will ever back down to. maybe they could throw up a roadblock. bet it would get attention in a hurry.
Read what I just posted this answers your question now.

So just and update appeal hearings between owner, with governemnt and our municipality that was done and finished in summer .... So far all this community has heard nothing but crickets, and I think no one expected this long of wait.... There is talk within community of another protest... Myself and others that sport fish mentioned Shawnigan Lake hatchery coho run is impacted by decision but no one has taken that in consideration as well as potential to affect Sooke lake watershed... Not only our drinking water could be affected...

We are still hoping decision gets reversed but with out support from Victoria area Mp's our community is kind of helpless. It's turned into its not in my backyard politics...

We seem to not have enough voting power to have any say... Were all still hopeful though... Christy Clark continues to deflect our issue and we can see put families first was total BS...

Here a summary of chain of events, and the final hearing.... I just realized we will almost going into 3 years in this fight in this community.

http://www.onecowichan.ca/update_on_shawnigan

Last edited by a moderator:
The BC environment board ruling whether to put 100,000 tonnes of contaminated soil per year over 50 years in Shawnigan's watershed was upheld despite objection from community and municipality... It has been upheld and we have lost...This serves as an example of why you all need to be careful of things and be wary of our provincial government..At a lost for words this is extremely bad for our community and Sooke lake's watershed.

Thanks to all that signed and lobbied for this not to happen... I don't know what next steps the residents association is doing but it is not looking good.:( I hope that group keeps up the fight but this a major blow...

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/saveshawniganwater?source=feed_text&story_id=893915673964587

Wow, that totally sucks! I hope that is another option to prevent this from happening. Remember this come next prov. election time I say!

Wow, that totally sucks! I hope that is another option to prevent this from happening. Remember this come next prov. election time I say!

I hope its on your radar down there Christopher through SVIAC..What affects our watershed will affect Sooke water supply... This site is bad news. The hatchery Coho salmon in Shawnigan will be affected which I believe other hatcheries use in there brood stocks, and it has the potential to affect Jack Brooks hatchery and others if the pollution were to reach the Sooke reservoir...If you look at map its all interconnected...

This isn't just about drinking water here..From a enhancement perspective we should all be worried up the effects of such a site... Think about lets say 10 years roll by and we have a major earthquake and that leaches out into water what then? This is exactly what we have been asking... Here is tonight's news...

http://www.cheknews.ca/shawnigan-lake-contaminated-soil-site-given-go-ahead/

Can't believe they're gonna go through with this.So short sighted.I'm with Whole in the Water on this one.Time to vote
Crusty Cluck and her cronies out of there!

Guys there are petitions going out across at disclosed locations... The petition is to be submitted to BC legislature to overturn the Environment ministers decision to allow toxic soil to be dumped on top of our aquifer. This will ultimately threaten Shawnigan lake drinking water, and also the hatchery coho in Shawnigan Creek if you look at from the angling perspective. Not to mention a lake that is utilized in the summer for south island residents for recreation...

If you stop by any of these locations you just need your signature and address, and you must be a BC resident.

Here are some locations:

Shaker Mill Restaurant (Lake Cowichan)
- Cobblestone Cold Beer & Wine Store (Cobble Hill)
- Farmer's Market (Duncan)
- Pilgrim Coffee (Colwood Corners, 1910 Sooke Rd)
- Malahat Legion (Shawnigan Mill Bay Rd)
- Newera Wellness, 2950 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC
- Bell's Custom Flooring in Lake Cowichan
- Valley Health and Fitness (Valleyview Centre)
- Rusticana Coffee (Mill Bay)
- Hemp & Company, 1312, Government St, Victoria, BC
- Water Basin Office (Shawnigan Village)
- Curves in Cobble Hill
- Dewar McCarthy Accounting (across from RCMP in Shawnigan)
- Shawnigan Lake Museum
- Shawnigan House Coffee
- Aitken and Fraser Store (Shawnigan Village)
- Shawnigan Medical Clinic
- Subway in Shawnigan
- Mason's Store
- Bowser & Co Dog Grooming (Village)
- Esthetics By Lois (Shawnigan Village)
- Malahat Gas Station (Malahat)
- The Black Swan (Shawnigan)
- Shawnigan Lake Community Centre

This is great snapshot of where we stand and the history worth a read ( see link below)... Its important to look at as nearly everyone one north of Victoria on island has no protection on drinking water supply..Only Victoria and Vancouver have these protections in place..

http://richardhughes.ca/cvrd-2/scre...nt-rides-roughshod-over-cowichan-communities/

For Victoria guys there are petitions to sign we need 250,000 signatures so you can imagine we are small community we need other areas across BC to sign..If anyone's interested I have a copy I can send to you...... You just need to print out/sign... info is also on SRA main site

http://www.thesra.ca/

Here are some locations at Serious Coffee in Victoria and Mill Bay:

1. Mill Bay Serious Coffee: Frayne Centre, 2490 Trans-Canada Hwy.,
2. Esquimalt Plaza’s Serious Coffee:Esquimalt Plaza, 27 - 1153 Esquimalt Road, Victoria
3. View Royal Serious Coffee: 1703 Island Highway, Victoria
4. CFB Esquimalt Serious Coffee, Nelles Block, Victoria

This decision to allow millions of tons of contaminated soil at the headwaters of Shawnigan lake over 50 years isn't just about the drinking water in the community. But this isn't just about drinking water. As anglers we should all be concerned. The Shawnigan Creek Coho run will be wiped out if contaminates enter the lake. That will directly impact Gold stream river and other hatcheries that depend on them...As the coho provide some of the brood stock to other hatcheries... We have had quite a success story in this creek. It also will impact Victoria greatly as in the event there is a leak as the lake will become unusable. For everyone that comes up here your recreational property value and usage are being threatened.

If this is not successful then please note that none of the drinking water North of Victoria is protected..If we don't stand up to it now another community could be next..I urge anyone to pressure there MLA, mayors etc in your riding on this issue. And also to sign these petitions...

This was the ministries response by our MLA last month before the appeals decision was lost in our community.....

[kAgFkZUZOSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAgFkZUZOSM

Latest news. In short the company SIA dumped contaminates on CVRD park land adjacent to quarry.. The government has put a stay on all work on that side of quarry only.. Testing will be done and the company must clean it up. But the contaminants are due to come into Shawnigan shortly... The other side of SIA site is proceeding as planned...

MLA Andrew Weaver for Oak Bay/Gordon head has been a big help, and has been pressured by some landowners in Vic that own rec property up here.... Fight is ongoing.. Here are some links from Andrew Weaver's site on this issue...

http://www.andrewweavermla.ca/2015/04/18/shawnigan-watershed/

http://www.andrewweavermla.ca/2015/04/30/probing/

I thought I would share this is the most troubling post I put up... As you know we are fighting for our drinking water in our lake. It is in court right now...

Some of the angling community will be starting a series of articles to raise awareness that Shawnigan Creek coho salmon that use a creek within 30m of this project. This is something the government just doesn't seem to care about, and does not make it in the media. This is a enhancement project that is directly funded and supported by Sidney anglers and others. At the beginning I always asked the question why local FN didn't seem to care about this creek or even our residents. Nothing said about it all. Well it appears we have answer have a read. As anglers please pressure your local SFAB, BCWF and other groups that we have a potential project that will potentially wipe out this run of salmon with Shawnigan Creek, and the local drinking water within the community of Shawnigan Creek.

Vancouver Island chief resigns amid allegations over fees from soil-dump operators

The chief of the Malahat First Nation has resigned over allegations that he was receiving a consulting fee from the operators of a controversial soil dump near Shawnigan Lake.

The allegations, which have not been proved in court, are contained in the latest filing by the Shawnigan Residents' Association, which is fighting to shut down a contaminated soil landfill owned by Cobble Hill Holdings and operated as South Island Aggregates. No response has been filed to date, but the time to file a response has not expired.

The association alleges that recently disclosed documents show the companies and their partners paying Malahat Chief Michael Harry a "consulting fee per tonne of soil."

Lawrence Lewis, Malahat's chief executive officer, confirmed Tuesday that "due to recent allegations," Harry stepped down as the elected chief effective Monday "while these matters are being investigated."

"I think Chief Harry, in light of these allegations, has done the right thing," Lewis said in an interview.

"He's stepped aside [to] take his personal matters and his relationships out of the equation as far as the nation is concerned, so that we can continue on with the important work that we're doing."

Lewis said he had no idea whether the allegations are accurate, but said they appear to suggest a "personal relationship" between Harry and the site's operators.

"I can't comment on it," he said. "I wasn't aware of it. The nation wasn't aware of it, so I can't speak to it."

Harry could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

In 2013, the B.C. government granted Cobble Hill Holdings a permit to receive up to 100,000 tonnes of contaminated soil a year at its Stebbings Road quarry. The Environmental Appeal Board upheld the permit this year.

The residents' association is pushing to stay the board's ruling after uncovering what the association says is a secret profit-sharing deal between the site's owners and Active Earth Engineering, which was hired to do the environmental risk assessment.

The residents claim documentation of the deal, which was given to the association anonymously, placed the engineers in a conflict of interest and raises questions about the site's safety. Residents fear contaminants will leach from the site and pollute their water supply.

Mike Kelly, Cobble Hill's president, declined comment on Tuesday. He said previously that a deal was signed in February 2013, but he said it was never acted upon.

"The parties simply changed their minds and the agreement was abandoned thereafter," he stated.

In its latest court filing, however, the residents' association says Active Earth has disclosed 77 pages of emails that show the agreement "was in no respects abandoned."

The association argues that the emails show Cobble Hill Holdings, South Island Aggregates and the engineers working closely together in a new company named South Island Remediation through 2013 and into 2014.

The association says the documents show the partners exchanging information on a range of business activities, including finances, budgets, invoices and job summaries, including several that show an "M. Harry" receiving consulting fees per tonne of soil.

The association alleges that the documents refer to Malahat Chief Michael Harry.

Calvin Cook, president of the Shawnigan Residents' Association, called Harry's resignation "unfortunate" in light of his hard work on behalf of the Malahat people.

"The Malahat band has a lot of tremendous people working for them and they've got a lot on the go; they've got a lot of positive developments."

The Malahat have appointed Coun. Tom Harry as the interim chief, while Lewis said he will continue to handle the nation's business and operations. Tom Harry is Michael Harry's uncle.

"We continue to focus our efforts to look after the nation's interests, its citizens and its business enterprises," Lewis said.

lkines@timescolonist.com

Click here to read more stories from The Victoria Times Colonist.

===

Click here to report a typo or visit vancouversun.com/typo.

Is there more to this story? We'd like to hear from you about this or any other stories you think we should know about. CLICK HERE or go to vancouversun.com/moretothestory
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

The trucks are actively dumping as fast as they can while cvrd and residents on court. Double back trucks line the malahat everyday coming in and out of victoria from rock bay site. This is really scary these materials on this site are very dangerous as it was a former coal site. Now our situation is becoming more clear, and extremely desperate. Shawnigan is indeed the clean up area for Victoria's problem with this project.Have a read. Were still hopeful of outcome no decision as of yet in supreme court...

Most disturbing when you read article below also look at this line from the federal government:

The sediment and shoreline will be restored as specified in a habitat restoration plan approved by Fisheries and Oceans Canada."

So basically our salmon habitat, and watershed will be destroyed to save another. Awesome.

Victoria's Rock Bay area closer to final cleanup

Carla Wilson / Times Colonist
May 20, 2014 08:21 PM

Email
Print

B1-0521-ROCK.jpg
Previous
Next

Work continues on remediation of a site in Rock Bay that has been used for a variety of purposes over the years, including as a city dump. Photograph By DARREN STONE, Times Colonist

The final $33.5-million contract to build a temporary dam and wrap up a decade-long effort to rid Rock Bay’s land and sea bed of toxic materials has been awarded to Quantum Murray LP.

By the time the remediation is complete, Victoria Mayor Dean Fortin is hoping that a new area plan will be in place for the property at the northwest of downtown. First, the city wants to talk to the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations, which are taking ownership of land facing the bay once it is cleaned up. Members of the area community will also be heard from.

“There are some wonderful opportunities,” he said Tuesday. “We want to see that land get into play as quickly as possible.”

Once the latest stage is wrapped up, 1.71 hectares of federal land will go to the First Nations. The $2.8-million deal will be finalized when the remediation is finished.

Fortin said he understands there’s a desire to provide a place of work for First Nations members. There are many options. Ground-floor uses will have to be commercial or industrial, but could be topped with housing.

He suggested that something like Vancouver’s False Creek might fit into the area, but cautioned that there are industrial operations nearby. B.C. Hydro is also remediating its adjacent Rock Bay lands.

Quantum Murray starts preparations next month on the third stage to remediate Transport Canada’s property. Site work is slated to be finished by Nov. 15, 2015, the department said in a statement.

Quantum Murray is a Canadian environmental services company, headquartered in Toronto and with a Victoria office. The contract is worth $33,482,763, including taxes, the statement said.

A coffer dam (a temporary watertight dam) will be built in Rock Bay to expose the sea bed. This will allow Quantum Murray to excavate and remove contaminated soil and sediment resulting from historical uses dating back 150 years.

B.C. Hydro and Transport Canada have been working together to clean up their neighbouring lands at Rock Bay. They carried out the bulk of the work between 2004 and 2006. More than 200,000 tonnes of contaminated soil has been removed and more materials will come out.

This project has turned into one of B.C.’s priciest cleanups. To date, Hydro has spent $51.8 million and Transport Canada has spent $19 million.

The Rock Bay site was used for a coal gasification plant from 1862 to 1952 by Victoria Gas and B.C. Electric, which eventually became B.C. Hydro. In 1883, the City of Victoria received approval to use the head of the bay as a dump site. A tannery and sawmills were also located around the bay, a 2004 government document states. Infilling, several metres deep, contributed to the contamination as well.

Coal tar and coal tar components, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, are the main contaminants, the document said. Other contaminants include cyanide, hydrocarbon fuels, such as Bunker C, ammonia liquors and heavy metals.

Contaminated materials will be taken off site for treatment and disposal, Transport Canada said.

Soil, sediment and water quality will be monitored as the project progresses to make sure that objectives are reached and that the surrounding environment is not affected. Work includes a neighbourhood air quality management plan, the statement said.

The sediment and shoreline will be restored as specified in a habitat restoration plan approved by Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

Remediation work on Hydro’s 0.4-hectare site at Pembroke and Store streets is expected to take a few more years, spokesman Ted Olynyk said. After the remediation is completed, Hydro will divest itself of the property. Details are still to be worked out.
- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/busine...-final-cleanup-1.1068893#sthash.flYRDVef.dpuf

Back