SFI Slams Halibut Closure

Derby

Crew Member
Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia Press Release

Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia - August 25, 2011

SFI SLAMS HALIBUT CLOSURE

VANCOUVER-The Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia (SFI) today slammed DFO's decision to force an early end to the Pacific recreational halibut fishery. "By forcing an unnecessary closure to the recreational halibut fishery while Canada still has more than two million pounds of available catch, DFO has demonstrated that it is beholden to the commercial halibut lobby and indifferent to the economic impacts on residents of coastal communities," said SFI President Robert Alcock. "DFO will have to explain to the hundreds of workers in the sport fishing industry who will be affected by this decision why their continued employment is of little importance.

DFO announced that it will close the recreational halibut fishery at midnight on September 5th because the recreational sector will have caught 12% of Canada's total allowable halibut catch. While Canadians can still catch in excess of two million pounds of halibut this year, DFO believes that the remainder of the halibut is part of the 88% of the Canadian halibut allocation that is "owned" by 436 commercial halibut quota holders. According to a recent release from the commercial halibut sector, only 156 quota holders actually fish halibut, the rest simply lease their quota and collect royalty cheques. Over the past two decades, halibut quota holders have earned a greater share of their income from leasing arrangements and employed fewer and fewer people

"This closure will not conserve halibut or increase employment in coastal communities. In fact, it will ensure that Canadian taxpayers will receive less value for their halibut resource," said Alcock. "Recreational anglers who want to catch one or two of the fish that they own as Canadians should be outraged at this high-handed decision."

The tidal recreational fishery produces 40% of the gross domestic product for all fisheries and aquaculture in British Columbia. More than 100,000 anglers participate in the recreational halibut fishery every year and the sector creates more than 3,400 person-years of employment.

- 30 -

For more information contact:

Owen Bird

Executive Director

Sport Fishing Institute of BC

(604) 270-3439

birdo@sportfishing.bc.ca

About the Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia
In existence from the 1970's, the Sport Fishing Institute of BC is a nonprofit society. Contributors and members are made up of a wide range of committed stakeholders including: fishing lodges, resorts, certified tidal angling guides, hotels, charter operators, manufacturers, distributors, tackle shops, dealers, boat and marine manufacturers, insurance industry organizations, regional airlines and individual anglers.

Our common goals are to ensure sustainability of our natural resources and that angling opportunities in British Columbia are maintained and promoted.

Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia
The SFI Team

Cuba, ask me if I care? Oh, just a sec, you won't need to wait for my answer ... I do care! You are a retarded(Ooops! retired) DFO, tell it like it was pops, come on, I know you want to! Com'on old boy, speak up!

Best you can do RVP? Lame

Wow! That is pretty harsh BB your true colors are beginning to show. You should learn to manage your temper!

So what becomes of the "shamwow" halibut lease program...sammy

I believe the pounds leased was under 300lbs .......We will see what the numbers say..in the mean time we will be getting ready to get back at it once the season has closed

get back at what?, fishing for them?,lol, or fighting to change the unfair allocation??...or both?....holmes*
Fighting to change the unfair allocation of course....no not happy about the closer as I like doing my hali fishing in the middle of Sept.... not this year

The word is that 27 people have now leased 4083 lbs. I am willing to bet that more people cave in now that we have a closure date. Just wish I knew who these idiots are.

The word is that 27 people have now leased 4083 lbs. I am willing to bet that more people cave in now that we have a closure date. Just wish I knew who these idiots are.
CL, come Sep 6, just look for the "idiots" fishing for halibut and any halibut at the cleaning tables! Of course, I wouldn't recommend anything like writing those vessel numbers down and then contacting those individuals!

My guess ... many of those 27 people will be guides, using the halibut as the tipping point to sell some late season trips, when the big springs have mostly passed through, the coho fishing might be decent, but halibut is the "sure thing" that pushes the charter. However, I'm betting they won't be advertising this widely or cleaning halibut at any public tables!

Some of the others might also be guests for late season charters -- as talked about earlier, a guide might well have guests show up with the documentation and quota secured ... with $1000 in hand, you going to refuse to take them out? In that sense, it could be seen as a bit like salmon stamps ... someone buys a license but no stamps, they can fish salmon but not keep them. Pay the extra and you can keep the fish. Similar for halibut ... though of course much more expensive and with fees going to individuals instead of gov't (and don't get me wrong, I'm not supportive of this program).

It will be interesting to see what happens Sept 6. Keep your eye out for usedvictoria / craigslist ads for halibut charters!

I suggest that we all publish charter business names and lodge nanmes that we know bought hali quota and then start an agressive boycott campaign online and through email and mouth propaganda. I hope this will hurt those businesses way more than they benefit from the additional 2 or 3 trips they gotten out of this cheap shot.

If I wasn't headed to the east coast to pound on some giant bluefin for the next 5 weeks you can betcher butt that i'd be still fishing halibut after the closure, and guiding clients as well. No, i wouldn't be leasing any goddamn quota from some slipper skipper either. I guess you could say it might be poaching, but Fak that. I'd call it a mandatory protest.

If i were you boys i'd go out there and fish all the halibut you wanted past the closure, and make damn sure to throw all those hali carcasses in front of your local MLA's office. Sooner or later, they are going to have to get the picture.

As a matter of fact when i get back from NS next month i might just have to head out there and whack a bunch to prove our side of the point. That's probably the only way we are going to get them to honor our rights as citizens and fishermen in this province. Protest protest protest. Time to throw their crap right back at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personal think that you will find most of the halibut being leased may just be commercial/charter outfitts trying to show the lease program can work???? It's in the best interest of the slipper skipers to show this system can work..... not the sport fisherman?

Back