Seal Attacks Child/Drags Her Off Dock-West Van

Dogbreath

This is bad, Real Real Bad.

People feed Seals all the time and let their Kids do the same some Marinas even sell Seal Food FFS!

Hopefully this will make some people aware, Please post this wherever you can and spread the word.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/09/02/bc-seal-attack-west-vaancouver.html

Seal pulls 5-year-old from dock: B.C. father

A harbour seal reportedly leapt from the water and dragged a five-year-old girl off a dock at a marina in West Vancouver on Tuesday, according to the child's father.

Mike Cunningham says he was cleaning fish at the Thunderbird Marina on Marine Drive, just east of Horseshoe Bay, when he heard a splash.

"And I looked over and my daughter had disappeared, and I thought, well, Kaylee has fallen into the water. She has her life jacket on, so she'll just pop back up to the surface," said Cunningham.

But it was few seconds before his daughter surfaced about two metres from where she fell in.

"When she popped to the surface, she said, 'Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, the seal!' and I said, 'What?'" he said.

A neighbour on a nearby boat then told Cunningham a seal had jumped out of the water and pulled Kaylee from the dock.

"This thing must have taken a running start to be able to launch itself four feet out of the water, grab a 50-pound five-year-old and then drag her underneath the water with a life-jacket on," said Cunningham.
Badly bleeding

He initially thought his daughter's hand was broken because it was badly swollen and bleeding with four large puncture wounds at the base of her wrist.

'Thank God she had the life-jacket on. I can't imagine what would have happened.'
—Kaylee's father, Mike Cunningham

The little girl was traumatized and taken to the hospital to be treated for the puncture wounds, but is otherwise OK, Cunningham said.

Kaylee had been feeding the seals at the fish cleaning station earlier in the day, and Cunningham said that's why he suspects it attacked his daughter.

After the incident, she told her father she thought it was very rude of the seal not to ask if she wanted to go for a swim, and she doesn't want to feed the seal or be its friend anymore.

Leigh said he has heard of seals attacking small dogs on leashes and dragging them into the water to eat them, but never attacking a child.

"Thank God she had the life-jacket on. I can't imagine what would have happened," he said.

Harbour seals can reach up to 1.8 metres in length and 130 kilograms, and are considered curious and intelligent. Their normal diet is mostly fish and shellfish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Just read this story on CBC, pretty shocking that a seal would do that. Glad she's ok.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Hmmm. a seal is wildlife...just like a bear... and we all know the signs say don't feed the bears for a reason. Glad she is ok, but it is bound to happen...they've pulled small dogs off the docks and drowned them before. A dog is a pet, a seal is not and should be left alone.

Holy Cr#p !!!! I just shot this photo a few days ago at Thunder bird Marina in West Van
...Thats the ATTACKER SEAL !!!!!

We'd drop our salmon guts and the seal would come right up to get them EVEN THE PARTS AT OUR FEET !!!! It would scramble right up on the dock while cleaning fish cleaninmg fish !!!!

Maybe now I won't clean fish there anymore.

16-08-09_1645sealoutres.jpg

Its easier said then done to not feed this seal as he comes right up on the dock because you are cleaning fish there. The feeding of this seal happens EVERY time we clean fish there. The only way to stop it is to not clean fish at this table or take evry tiny morsel of guts away with you. People need to be more careful with there kids around wild life ....wow thats a scary story.

That seal needs to have a solid kick to the snout to remind it that it should fear getting to close to people. They are smart and learn quickly, a couple kicks should convince it to stay in the water and wait for tossed scraps.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

That seal needs to have a solid kick to the snout to remind it that it should fear getting to close to people. They are smart and learn quickly, a couple kicks should convince it to stay in the water and wait for tossed scraps.

Ya ever seen the teeth on thoose tings? you kick it...
leopard_seal.jpg

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

I'd kick it, especially if it pulled my kid into the water. ...and I wouldn't kick it lightly either. [}:)]

Back