Sea Lion Stabbed

totally tyee

By The Associated Press

ADVERTISEMENT

LOS ANGELES - All the sea lion wanted was some food.

A California fisherman has pleaded guilty in the fatal stabbing of a sea lion. Hai Nguyen faces up to a year in prison and a 20-thousand dollar U-S fine.

Police say Nguyen was fishing off a pier in Newport Beach last July when the sea lion snatched the bait from his fishing line.

Nguyen then stabbed the animal with a steak knife, piercing its heart. The sea lion was taken to a marine mammal centre in Laguna Beach, where it had to be put down.

Nguyen told a federal magistrate in Los Angeles Wednesday he never meant to kill the sea lion, just scare it away.

But he acknowledged violating the federal Marine Mammal Protection Act.

quote:Nguyen then stabbed the animal with a steak knife, piercing its heart. The sea lion was taken to a marine mammal centre in Laguna Beach, where it had to be put down.
A valuable lesson here. When fishing next to a Vietnamese man never under any circumstance try and steal his bait.....

Can't we just hire a fleet of those Vietnamese to deal with seals that steal hooked salmon? I'd love to chip in my part for this sort of business!

NICE! Thanks for telling...now I know a way to afford a new boat engine without arguing with my wife [8D]

I thought the animal needed to near extinct to fetch that much.
Or maybe tiger penis is 20,000.[xx(]

guilty - who knows if its actually worth that much, but there is a market for it - who would haev thought they would be that big either [:0]

Can anyone actually picture some guy stabbing a sea lion with a knife in the heart? I wonder how he did it. Must have skills i could use him on my crew to straigten out some seals

Sounds like self-defence to me. The guy was defending his bait.
And the fact that he used a steak knife...some recognition for bravery is in order.
Come to think about it, when they say "sea lion", do they mean baby harbour seal?
cheers
vic

I'm having problems beleiving that anyone would be stupid enough to approach a 1200 pound california sea lion armed with a steak knife.... but hey I have problems believing most of the Darwin Awards writeups and they are all verified :)

quote:I'm having problems beleiving that anyone would be stupid enough to approach a 1200 pound california sea lion armed with a steak knife
Keep in mind this gentleman is Vietnamese, the same people who attacked US Choppers in the war with bows and arrows. Withstood B52 attacks and basically charged into machine gun fire without even blinking. In my oppinion it was the Sealion that was stupid to mess with him.

Back