Sea Lion Bites Fisherman's Leg In Alaska

Hmm. I was diving with them the other day and they were very friendly sharing smooches and hugs and stuff.
DSCN1317.jpeg DSCN1328.jpeg DSCN1242.jpeg DSCN1319.jpeg

Hmm. I was diving with them the other day and they were very friendly sharing smooches and hugs and stuff.
View attachment 42855 View attachment 42856 View attachment 42857 View attachment 42858
Sorry but I say your nuts, maybe even confused, hope you really don't believe they are "sharing smooches and hugs and stuff". I think a new law concerning feeding dangerous wildlife was passed recently, hope you had no food for them. BUT In this case it may be OK because most times after a wild animal attacks, eats or kills a crazy human the animal usually ends up dead and I think we can all agree on here that a few pinnipeds need removal. Go ahead and keep inserting your arms in their mouths. Animal history will not repeat itself this time...……...

HM

I've got my scuba cert and so does my daughter. We were taught, practice, and believe that no wild animal should be touched and taught to associate with humans in this way. Just like when you got your cert you were also told this just like you should not touch live coral on the sea bottom nor should you walk and and disrupt sea life on the ocean bottom. Same goes for all the wild creatures we are blessed with sharing this place called earth with.

Yes they are beautiful to look at and appreciate but that doesn't mean it's right to touch them and to teach them to not fear humans. A recipe for an eventual bad outcome.

Well I found a panel of experts right quick. lol. Anyway it seems like all intelligent comments however I'm not confused by any means and I am some what of an experienced diver. Ive been a commercial diver on salmon farms for 20 some years where I have seen many of these animals die. I have dove with them for a tens of years and I did so because it was my job. I was a farmer taking care of animals. If I didn't do that work who would?
As any one knows salmon farmers were made villains for legally shooting and killing sea lions. I never shot them, I only dealt with the removal of them. Due to pressure from activists salmon farmers stopped shooting and developed nets and systems that would not trap or capture them. This took years of research and transition. Anyways, the industry and the company I work for lead the pack in reducing sea lion deaths to near zero. I'm proud of that work and the results.
There are hundreds of divers up and down the coast diving year round and I can not think of one death or even an injury to a diver from a sea lion. It would seem that most of the incidences are to people above the water and those are rare but predictable. The chances are better of being in a car accident and we are all driving around all the time.
Anyways that's my perspective. Im not preaching against culls or anything Im just providing evidence that they are not vicious animals.
No food is involved in these dives and the sea lions come to the divers and touch and touch them a lot. I would also advise to use caution when suggesting restrictions( i know its coming in this thread, very predictable) on one user group thinking other user groups are immune to restrictions regarding interactions with the same animals.

Last edited:
I remember a Sea Lion attacking and killing someone on the dock in Ukee years ago maybe some of the older posters here do too.

Well I found a panel of experts right quick. lol. Anyway it seems like all intelligent comments however I'm not confused by any means and I am some what of an experienced diver. Ive been a commercial diver on salmon farms for 20 some years where I have seen many of these animals die. I have dove with them for a tens of years and I did so because it was my job. I was a farmer taking care of animals. If I didn't do that work who would?
As any one knows salmon farmers were made villains for legally shooting and killing sea lions. I never shot them, I only dealt with the removal of them. Due to pressure from activists salmon farmers stopped shooting and developed nets and systems that would not trap or capture them. This took years of research and transition. Anyways, the industry and the company I work for lead the pack in reducing sea lion deaths to near zero. I'm proud of that work and the results.
There are hundreds of divers up and down the coast diving year round and I can not think of one death or even an injury to a diver from a sea lion. It would seem that most of the incidences are to people above the water and those are rare but predictable. The chances are better of being in a car accident and we are all driving around all the time.
Anyways that's my perspective. Im not preaching against culls or anything Im just providing evidence that they are not vicious animals.
No food is involved in these dives and the sea lions come to the divers and touch and touch them a lot. I would also advise to use caution when suggesting restrictions( i know its coming in this thread, very predictable) on one user group thinking other user groups are immune to restrictions regarding interactions with the same animals.
I never meant any ill to you, had any opinion on your love of the outdoors and animals or that you would deliberately hurt any pinniped. No question concerning your experience at diving, I would **** my suit if my arm was in its mouth. Hell snorkeling in South America I almost drowned when a moray eel took a liking to me. I AM saying play "Steve" Erwin, grizzly man, tiger guy, lion trainer or any of the other fools long enough and you WILL get it. Remember they are wild and we call it wildlife for a reason, they ARE unpredictable, more so when habituated or unnaturally fed by humans. Play with them 100,000 times then the 100,001 time it bites, plays with its food or attacks, then it dies. Just don't blame the sea "lion".

HM

I never meant any ill to you, had any opinion on your love of the outdoors and animals or that you would deliberately hurt any pinniped. No question concerning your experience at diving, I would **** my suit if my arm was in its mouth. Hell snorkeling in South America I almost drowned when a moray eel took a liking to me. I AM saying play "Steve" Erwin, grizzly man, tiger guy, lion trainer or any of the other fools long enough and you WILL get it. Remember they are wild and we call it wildlife for a reason, they ARE unpredictable, more so when habituated or unnaturally fed by humans. Play with them 100,000 times then the 100,001 time it bites, plays with its food or attacks, then it dies. Just don't blame the sea "lion".

HM

You may be right however to there are no reported attacks causing injury or death by a california or stellar sea lions to a diver that I can find. So Im no Timothy Treadwell or Steve Erwin whom where constantly handling deadly animals. I am confident in saying this is something different and the stats are clearly support this.

Anyway, that is a nasty wound that guy has and it is a grim reality of how nature really can be.

A nasty wound indeed, not one I would like to endure. I have the utmost respect for all wild animals, giving them the wide berth they deserve. Yes when hunting I may push the envelope but I take full responsibility for anything that may happen, but I do not "poke" the bear, lion or elephant. Its their being wild that gets the adrenalin and blood pumping.

HM

I can give you a guys # that was injured quite badly from being ramed by a sea lion while diving on a farm site in Esperanza....sea lion came up afterwards and just cruised along the site rite on by as to say fk you after diver was hauled out and on the deck getting med attention...I'll see if I can get his permission to post the pics of his badly bruised chest and sides... he doesn't dive for a living anymore

Last edited:
Back