scary article

Does not look good for our Chinook fishery ...:(
a complete closure would really hurt a lot of people
whose jobs are tied to the sport fishery.

Man, that is scary. We really need to do something. The destruction of each little stream that has/had returns really adds up. All up and down the west coast, streams and rivers are lost every year. I remember in the late 80's and early 90's, people would talk about how much fish we have lost and how great the fishing used to be. I used to hear that and think, "what a shame, too bad the fishing sucks", and now, what i would give to have the fishing as good as when i thought it sucked!!
Thanks to all you guys who are/were involved in fish hatcheries because i think the fish would be all but gone if it wasn't for you guys.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Does not look good for our Chinook fishery ...:(
a complete closure would really hurt a lot of people
whose <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='<a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='jobs';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://parrotcoupe.info?v=1%2E21&ss=jobs">jobs</a>';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://parrotcoupe.info?v=1%2E21&ss=<a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='jobs';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://parrotcoupe.info?v=1%2E21&ss=jobs">jobs</a>">jobs</a> are tied to the sport fishery.

thats very true and i agree,
but if it means at the end of the day the salmon stocks are on a rebound, then i think it has to be done. No doubt it would cause alot of hurt for people in the industry, but with the amount of jobs outthere right now and all of the transferable skills fishing industry people would have there wouldnt be a problem finding another job, maybe just not the one they love(d) as much.
And i hate to sound ignorant, but im 18 and it should be my turn to start enjoying what the previous generation once had, but with with fishery abused to the point its at now, i think i need to have some greed and say i want what i should have. just my idea on the situation, dont want to start any conflicts.

Im 19, and when i was about 7 i went fishing with my grandfather out off of beacher bay. He caught multiple times his limit of 2 springs in the high 20's low 30's when i was 9 my dad bought a boat and we began fishing together, we had very little luck the first 2 years. learning the area and gear. from ages of 12-19 i have seen nothing but a decrease in the numbers of fish caught not only in amount but also in size. I want there to be fish for my son and i to catch. Somthing needs to be done, its weather we can trust the DFO to make the correct choices. They continue to tell us our Coho numbers are getting better, but i still only catch 5-6 a year maybe 1 hatchery. I guess it is a wait and see situation. I have began to catch and release all fish other then what i want for the BBQ that day.

Hope to see a change in 15-20 years

-Steve

Hey Steve; I feel for you and sincerely hope that you will be able to show your kids how awesome salmon fishing can be here in BC. Unfortunately I can't say that I have much trust left for DFO and its decisions. However, I hope that all user groups start consciously thinking about implications of their wrong-doing and change for the better themselves. As well I hope that all user groups join forces in reversing some of the negative impacts of the past and hope that this all combined with the tough nature of our wild salmon will bring back better times. Things like ocean conditions are out of our control but right now those seem to have turned for the better and there are signs that salmon numbers are improving in the next few years. By how much - who knows and depends on all of us - and whether you will ever see days like in the old Charlie White books again - I sort of doubt it - but hey, a start is a start and nature seems to give us another chance over the next few years. Let's not screw it up! It might be our last chance to turn this around!

Back