Salmon sausages

Sitkaspruce

So a couple weeks ago we took some of these;

fishing2012003.jpg

and turned them into these......

IMGP0072.jpg

Along the way we boned out the fish, cut them into chunks, semi-froze them (you need to do this, makes it so much easier), ran them through the grinder and a 7mm plate.

One was salmon with fresh herbs and garlic.....

IMGP0071.jpg

and the other was salmon with oil. This one we left as patties as there is bread crumbs and flour, which makes it bind.

IMGP0069.jpg

After mixing both in tubs, we left them in the fridge for 18 hours, to let the flavours infuse, then stuffed them or made 1 lbs packages.

These are amazing sausages/patties, lots of flavour and tasty!!!

Sorry for the pale picts, setting was wrong on the camera, the colour is much more "Salmon".......

Cheers

SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea and photos, SS. The sausages look delicious.

Sounds like a great way to change things up. Would you be able
to share the recipe? Would love to try those sausages next year.

What did you use for casing material?

Standard 33mm calogen casing from Stuffers. Was looking for some sheep or vegtable, but hard to find up here. So far they are working.

Sounds like a great way to change things up. Would you be able
to share the recipe? Would love to try those sausages next year.

Fresh Herb & Garlic Salmon Sausages

-2lbs. Fresh, wild caught salmon tail meat- skins removed & cut into chunks
-8oz. Wild caught smoked salmon, broken into pieces - we did not add this
-3 Cloves of garlic, chopped - We added another clove/2 lbs of salmon
-3 Tblspns fresh dill, rough chopped
-3 Tblspns fresh flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
-Zest from ¼ lemon
-Juice from ¼ lemon
- ½ - ¼ Tspn smoked paprika (optional) -We added this, adds amazing flavour
- ½ Tspn celery salt
-1 Tbspn(ish) sea salt
- ½-1 Tbspn fresh cracked pepper
-Small (21mm) sausage casing (vegetarian available) - we went with the larger size as we thought the smaller size will dry out fast.

Salmon Sausage with Oil

For every 2.5 lbs of fish add the following;
- 3 tsp Salt (We use sea salt)
- 3 tsp of fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of Corriander
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of Red ground pepper (we used ground red chilli flakes to add a bit of heat)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup of flour. We used Spelt as the wife has a reaction to Gluten
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. We use our own and add Italian seasoning to them.
- 1/2 cup minus a tbsp of olive oil

grind semi frozen, mix with the ingredients, adding water to make the consistancy you like. We added a small batch of water as we wanted to use these as patties instead of sausages, so ours are quite dry as compared to the sausage material.

As I said before, I think letting the mixture sit for a day allows the flavour to spread and mix better.

there is lots of reciepts on the net, these are just two that we tried and they both worked out well.

Cheers

SS

Wow, looks great!
A couple questions if I may......In the recipe it calls for salmon tail meat. Did you follow this or use the whole fillet? Have you found a difference it the sausage when you use different species such as Springs VS Pinks. It seems like a great thing to do with a bunch of pinks.
Thanks for sharing!!

Wow, looks great!
A couple questions if I may......In the recipe it calls for salmon tail meat. Did you follow this or use the whole fillet? Have you found a difference it the sausage when you use different species such as Springs VS Pinks. It seems like a great thing to do with a bunch of pinks.
Thanks for sharing!!

We used skinless spring and pink chunks mixed, so far every link has been great. It was whole pink filets and the thicker bodies on large springs, along with the tails as spring tails are kind of stringy. Just make sure you cut the chunks to ensure they fit your grinder neck, and semi-freeze them, especially the pinks.

Cheers

SS

Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe. Can`t wait to try it!

SS, I noted you said in your rescipe "tail meat" which I consider the worst part of the fish because it is tough. Anyway I have used tail section in chowders and other, but your idea for sausage is great. As one who has never ground or stuffed, I assume one needs both a grinder and separage stuffer, and if so any size recommendations or brands you like? My wife has a kitchenaid mixer that can accept a grinder, so I might go that route. Anyway, looks like a great, great way to use the worst part of the salmon. DAJ

DAJ

Your wifes Kitchen Aid will work for grinding, if not there is a couple good ones at Costco. I have the 1hp from Cabelas, but I usually make 50 lbs of sausage and a couple hundred lbs of ground/year, so I went for a big one.

As for stuffer, most grinders come with stuffing tubes, but it can be a PITA with the small grinders. I have an 11 lbs stuffer from Cabelas, but you can pick up one at Princess Auto as well.

It depends on what you want to spend, but there is lots of different equipment out there to buy.

Cheers

SS

For what it is worth, i use my old cuisinart for grinding meats all the time. Just cut whatever kind of meat up into 2"x2" cubes and half freeze for about 20 min and then pulse in the processor for 15 or so pulses and its good. No idea if the consistancy works for passing through a stuffer but don't see an issue. Best way to cheaply grind fish, chicken, pork or beef that is if you already own one. I make fill in the blank burgers and all sort of things like this.

Back