Salmon Jigging Rod and Reel

I’ve been using a spinning set up from HC so far with no real complaints.
Thinking of switching to a bait caster set up this year. Contemplating a set up that is good for salmon, but could handle occasional bottom fish as well. If anyone has any suggestions.

Has anyone spent anytime jigging with an avet sx as a reel ?

Some Muskie rods are suitable-cheap and reasonably well-made but where in the Pacific NW can you try them out they are a rare animal at best.
I've been using an inexpensive Basspro one piece 7'6 Muskie rod. It is the closest I've come so far but it is a little heavy. I've tried my best to break it and haven't so far. Was a bargain for ~$60 when they dared to have no minimum free shipping. Don't see it on the site anymore.
A 7' heavy bass rod is pleasant to use when light gear is practical. ie. shallow water light tides.

I jig a lot in the Nanaimo area and have experimented with a variety of gear (in all budget ranges). The bait on the structure is typically quite small in Nanaimo and I find I am typically fishing 2-3oz jigs in under 15-75 feet of water. This is a consideration if you are thinking Trevalas because those rods are typically designed for heavier jigs.

The M action Trevalas with a fast retrieve level wind reel are my go to if I'm jigging over about 80 feet deep. The Trevalas rods are really a superb piece of fishing engineering. From surface to 80 feet I tend to prefer the 9 foot harbour Chandler jigging rod foot with a Shimano Soccoro 8000 spinning reel.

If you are looking for a more economical approach, a few years back I fished with a Shimano 4000 spinning reel($25 at Canadian Tire) and a garage sale 9 foot steelhead rod ($5) from a garage sale and the 20 pound color changing power pro and boated many large springs/lings. I still use the setup on my boat for those who are hard on equipment and insist on laying the rods on the gunnels.

Good luck!!

I’ve been using a spinning set up from HC so far with no real complaints.
Thinking of switching to a bait caster set up this year. Contemplating a set up that is good for salmon, but could handle occasional bottom fish as well. If anyone has any suggestions.

Has anyone spent anytime jigging with an avet sx as a reel ?
I have used the Avet SX 5.8 for the last couple of years mounted on an 11 foot Fenwick trigger mooching rod. We have mainly jigged for lings and for halibut while on anchor. We use my homemade jigs from 60 grams (anchovy imitation) to a 145 gram Pirken. I have it spooled with 400 yards of 40 lb. quality braid and a 20 ft. topshot of 40 lb. Maxima Ultragreen mono (used for trolling off rigger as well).
My future son-in-law caught 4 halibut with it this year while we were on anchor with very quiet currents (~190 feet deep), a couple 35 to 40 lb. and a couple in the 20's. He had no trouble landing these fish and it was a lot of fun with the very light set up. This set up was also great when jigging for lings, haven't done a lot of salmon jigging but it should perform well for that too.

For salmon which the OP asked about not halibut or ling. 9 ft rod all day long. I,m using the Fenwick HMX medium action with single action reels. The reels need to have free spool in my opinion. I have a 9ft shimano clarus trigger that i,m going to pair with a calcutta for quick line pickup. There are alot of great rods out there but as Rayvon said you want something fairly lite as your arm will fall off if its too heavy. I only jig for 3-4 hrs as thats my max. I also like the lite rods as when i hit smaller fish it makes for alot more fun..

Back