Salmon Extinction

Howdy,

Forgive me Daddystoy for my misinterpretation of your post.

Good on ya' - all the same.

Still waiting for an official response from SFBC concerning my last post on this topic.

Happy New Year to all my Fellow Sportie's out there!

Cheers,

Terry Anderson & Family

Thanks little hawk. It will someday =). Wolf I think we have some common friends at Windsong (Jerry and Carol). Hope to maybe meet up with you both this summer. Count me in for backing also I know may people in the area that will gladly provide backup.

Gimp

Hello

I was forwarded your conversation about my research and just wanted to let you know that I am one of the investigators on the "big Pacific Salmon Forum Study." Two years ago I was parterned with Fisheries and Oceans Canada to complete this work.

Similar to when the east coast cod stocks were allowed to slide into commercial extinction, and when the Nechako River was threatened.....you will find that the scientists within DFO are not in agreement on all issues with the talking head of DFO.

It does not matter if you work with DFO, the Pacific Salmon Forum or any Univeristy there are salmon lice infecting very young wild salmon always and only around active fish farms. No, stickleback are not the cause, no, drugs will not suppress this and monitoring sea lice will not prevent large numbers of wild salmon from being eaten to death by farm-origin lice.

There is a very simply solution to the impact of sea lice on wild salmon. Just follow the natural laws that allow wild salmon to thrive...seperate the old from the very young. This breaks the parasite life cycle. This is not a case of either or, it is only a matter of how.

Today, despite all the work there are more farm fish on the essential Tribune - Fife migration route. The fish farmers simply need to allow wild fish on this route the opportunity to grow up before meeting their enormous livestock populations, but they refuse.

I have a new study coming out on the state of wild salmon and herring around fish farms off Campbell River. The same dynamic is underway there, in fact the sockeye that went missing this year were infested with sea lice when they went to sea.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. This is a very urgent, very serious and very simple issue.

Happy New Year,

Alexandra Morton

Just received this information from Bill Otway. Come on guys; let's get busy. How about we put together something as a Sport Fishing BC Forum? Whoever forwarded this thread to Morton, a big thanks! Let's send the thread to Audit folks too! Let's go! [8D]

DFO Audit Must Result in Action
It's high time the DFO was audited -- its dedicated, hard-working field personnel have been downsized, overworked and hamstrung for years, its management has sucked, and it is not fulfilling its mandate to protect our fish, rivers and oceans. Here is a chance for public input to have a real effect:

"Madame Sheila Fraser, Auditor General of Canada is undertaking an audit of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Environment Canada's Habitat Management Program effectiveness, success and ability to conserve, project or compensate for loss of viable, productive habitat in Canada.

"Please contact the audit team responsible for Fisheries and Oceans. They would be happy to speak with each of you to ensure broad community input and submissions to inform this process and add to the findings. You may contact either the audit Principal, Mr. Eric Hellsten at (604)666-7600 or the audit Director, Mr. John Sokolowski at (604)666-7608. They are both located in Vancouver at 250-757 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6C 1A1."

Commissioned by:
Sheila Fraser, FCA
Auditor General | Vérificatrice générale
Office of the Auditor General of Canada | Bureau du vérificateur général du Canada
C.D. Howe Building, 240 Sparks Street, West Tower
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0G6

sheila.fraser@oag-bvg.gc.ca

Telephone 613-992-2512
Facsimile 613-957-4023

So if you have a beef with DFO, here's your chance to really make a difference. Internal government auditors have extensive investigative powers -- it's not just economics and finances, they can poke into all sorts of stuff. If enough people come up with enough war stories, Madam Sheila Fraser could well feel justified in expanding her mandate into overall DFO (in)activities, including the huge bugbear of enforcement. In other words, the auditor general could very well come to the conclusion that DFO is not fulfilling its mandate to preserve our "resource."

Support your local DFO community advisors, your thinly stretched DFO enforcement officers, and us dedicated volunteers... And make those DFO head-office bureaucrats and their elected minister in Ottawa sweat. Speak Up!

quote:Still waiting for an official response from SFBC

The owners of SFBC can't even be bothered to fix the email function of the website or do simple moderation - you're kidding yourself if you think they will get proactively involved in any cause.

I think you're best to start a group from scratch with a clear Modus operandi - but thats just my opinion. I'm emailing you now with my details.

"Madame Sheila Fraser, Auditor General of Canada is undertaking an audit of Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Environment Canada's Habitat Management Program effectiveness, success and ability to conserve, project or compensate for loss of viable, productive habitat in Canada.

Be specific on this, I am sure that you can find something within these terms to send in a query.

I would love to know what percentage of the total DFO budget is spent on wages, administration and red tape in Ottawa? I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t a huge percentage of the total budget!

Welcome to Alexandra Morton.
Thank you for the post.
I, and others, thank you for your efforts and work.

Will look forward to your upcoming report on the experience in the Campbell River area. One of the problems in the press I've noticed is that the coverage has been limited to the Broughton/Pink runs.
No coverage and/or research on other areas or species. It's good to see you are expanding your area of research. Perhaps that will open a few more eyes. It is unfortunate that you have had to initiate and carry out the research that DFO should have undertaken years ago, but Good-On-You for stepping up.

Howdy,

Alexandra, I second that welcome to the Forum. I have great respect for the work you've done over the years. I also have empathy for the way many of the alarm-bells you have sounded have fallen on but deaf-ears in Federal management circles.

Keep the Faith - us 'Sportie's' are, as we speak, undertaking to organize ourselves into an unprecedented force-to-be-reckoned-with.

We Sportfishermen - the Truly Passionate, the one's who will ensure there are Wild-fish left for our kid's - are about to make a splash in the oppostition to the net-pen industry the likes of which - like a massive tsunami - will wash them away forever.

Hope we on this forum will continue to hear from you.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,
Terry Anderson

Know your (friend/enemy?), not sure which DFO is but I get the feeling to many on the site, it is the latter.
Gallows:
Do a google search on "DFO budget".
It'll take you into all kinds of topics, such as:
DFO has a budget for 2006/07 of $1,648.9 millions, or if you prefer, 1.648.9 billion$.
Of that 835 million goes to "Safe and Accessible Waters"; Coast Guard 657 milion, Harbours 117.5
"Fisheries Management" 424.5 million
"Healthy and Productive Aquatic Ecosystems" 183 million.

DFO has 10,382 employees, of which slightly over 10% are in Ottawa and approximately 2200 in BC, but it doesn't break down what activities these are involved in (Coast Cuard, Research, Patrol, or whatever).

Seems like a lot of people and money.

Barbender
I have read a pile of your posts here regarding fish farms.
All you have to do is read all the factual, undeniable truth that has been proven/written about how open net fish farming has devastated wild fish stocks all over the world. These fish farm companies set up camp, destroy wild stocks, then move onto other countries/waters.
Thats a fact son.

Back