saint marry lake

B

boatman38

I fish this lake on a regular basis and have caught some decent fish which I always release.What gets me is people that feel it neccessary to kill the large rainbows that are in their spawn cycle.The large fish in this lake are said to have a high mercury content and should not be eaten.Also it takes a very long time for these fish to reach 20 or more inches and they era becomming more scarse.If people want to harvest fish,they should keep the more plentifull 15 inch cutts,as they have less toxins built up and taste better than a spawning bow.I have seen people kill these large bows just to show people what they caught,and then they try to give the fish to someone alse to eat.That's my rant for the day.:(

Here is a nice St Mary's spawner from Easter. Just before it was released.

March2008131.jpg

I agree. The same should be in effect for Elk and Beaver just to name a couple. 4.3 won the rescent derby. I remember the day that you could get 2 dozen fish the same size and larger from Elk/beaver in an afternoon of dragging flies.
All the catch and kill, catch and kill plus the overstocking is just making a lake that is supporting smaller and smaller fish.[V]

Is there any place for Rainbows to spawn in St Mary Lake?

Because if there is I missed it in all the years I've been fishing there.

Every year a bunch of Rainbow/Cutt smolts get dumped in some make it most end up as Bass food, those that make it end up eating a lot of Bass fingerlings and life goes on.

It's a put 'n take fishery so killing fish in season is NBD.

Just because it is in Spawning colors does not mean it is going to spawn, most fish that are stocked in lakes are sterile anyways, and Rainbow and Cutthroat trout need running water to spawn in. Ie a creek or river with sufficient spawning gravel in it. There are a lot of big trout in the local lakes you just have to learn how to target them.

Steeliehead you're my hero. Can you write a book so we can all learn to bobber fish - I mean chironomid fish - like you?

Anything for you, I will dedicate the book to you, if you want. Let me know if you want to tag along on your day away from teaching JS.

June is usually best for Bass, somewhat weather dependent, if it's been warm don't go expecting much action from Cutts although they are still feeding.

The past few years Bass action had slowed down it's not like the old days at all IMO there are too many small fish now.

June would be alight. small fish agreement tho. Try the flat near the west pumphouse and it's little channels and drop offs. Good place for decent 2lb smallies but, again you will find many little smallies.

I live on saltspring and june is excellent fishing.Lots of cutts and I have caught 4&5lb bass as well.Try a dark green dragon nymph on the bottom or green minnow pattern for the cutts as the bass fry will be hatching.June is my favorite time of year on this lake.I fish this lake at least2 or 3 times a week.

dogbreath...chronnies work great early season on st. marry as there are huge ones hatching in march and april.

is there a boat ramp, that i can put 14ft aluminum in?it's on a trailer so........

Back