Saanich "GREENER GARBAGE COLLECTION" STARTS in April !!!!

sammyslabber

This is the notice I got today; how many of you GV taxpayers are buying into this new garbage scheme? Rumours has them putting them diverting compost waste to Hartland landfill; so why the mandatory new garbage container charge -at an extra annual fee of $16.66; hmm 666...:eek: imo we'd be better off recycling our own kitchen scraps to make free compost...:mad:

'Start separating your kitchen scraps from your garbage after your last pick up in March. Place your carts, garbage and organics, curbside by 7 am on your first collection day in April. Bring your old cleaned cans to the Public Works Yard for recycling starting March 31st - April 12th / Mon - Sat 8:30 am - 4:30 pm / Sun closed. For further info': http://saanich.ca/services/garbage/greenergarbagecollection.html?ref=shortURL

What a pile oF B.S.
Another make work program
we use a garburator to process 90% of kitchen waste
our green bin will be empty

What a pile oF B.S.
Spoken like a true plumbing supply rep...:)
Um the bins have wheels...perhaps we can use them to carry supplies etc. up the ramp/dock...;)

What a pile oF B.S.

We live in Saanich and took the option to opt out of the kitchen-garden waste bin as we have done our own composting for ever.
No problem...didn't pay for the bin.
They sent us a form explaining what cannot go into the regular garbage bin which we signed and returned.

I watched our garbage guy take the green can stuff out of the green can, by hand, place it in the other garbage can then wheel it to the truck and dump the whole mess together into the truck. There's no separation of the garbage.

We live in Saanich and took the option to opt out of the kitchen-garden waste bin as we have done our own composting for ever.
No problem...didn't pay for the bin.
They sent us a form explaining what cannot go into the regular garbage bin which we signed and returned.
hmm thanks for chiming-in; that still doesn't account for the rest of GV taxpayers who were led to believe the kitchen scraps would be diverted from the land fill. Oh well I'll be able to afford a new wheel barrow to move my compost & boat supplies...perhaps Saanich should buy it for me as tax saving incentive... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a garbage man for city of victoria surprisingly alot of people use there green bins and it does cut down on alot of garbage.it does go to hartland then is shipped somewhere else for processing because of to many complaints about the smell at the original place.as for a garbage man putting your green waste in with the garbage,you probley had a non compostable bag

surprisingly alot of people use there green bins and it does cut down on alot of garbage.it does go to hartland then is shipped somewhere else for processing because of to many complaints about the smell at the original place.
how do garbage men like the stench of rotting kitchen scraps i.e. fish scraps; not that I would do that but hey other ppl might not be so considerate... oh well there goes our carbon tax credit or should I say carbon foot print...another CRD ball dropper...:rolleyes:

The green bin can be really gross especially when people don't bag it, no buddy likes the smell,who would

Well the info we got at our place in Saanich stated that you cannot use compostable garbage bags in the kitchen waste bins as they contain plastic? Especially confusing as Saanich had included a free sample pack of compostable garbage bags......

I live in Esquimalt, here's the info we got...
"For your outdoor kitchen scraps bin, you can choose to use compostable bags or to place organics loosely in the bin. Compostable bags are available at most grocery and hardware stores."

Anyone seen Hartland lately, it will soon be mt.hartland. I just got back from Florida where they don't recycle anything, not even bottles....that's crazy, I felt so guilty. I have been sorting my trash for years, and when we compost our scraps it cuts our garbage in about half...so what's the beef?

They may have some growing pains, but still better then the alternative...eventually they need a new dump...where's that going to be?

Today is the last day to dispose of your old garbage cans..."FREE" of charge...drop off at Saanich works yard

Is the plan still to ship it to Richmond? Not very environmentally friendly using all that fossil fuel?

Is the plan still to ship it to Richmond? Not very environmentally friendly using all that fossil fuel?

Here's TC article on the subject: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...d-scraps-will-be-shipped-to-richmond-1.949555

"Saanich is not affected because it signed a separate five-year deal to compost an estimated eight to 11 thousand tonnes a year of residential kitchen scraps and yard waste at Fisher Road Recycling in Cobble Hill. That facility is not able to accept more kitchen scraps."

I had mayor Frankie in my sights last night;carpe diem crossed my mind...:)

You guys think that's bad try having all of Victoria's and the mainland construction waste from gas stations etc. toxic soil shipped and dumped near your drinking water in Shawnigan. And yes some if it comes on barges.

If you have this little issue you guys are lucky. Up here were getting used to being a dump site for Victoria/Langford so I guess we some waste now coming to fisher road now too.... :( That's OK but Fisher is really small, and how will they expand? Hope someone thought that one out.

Back