Rust stains on deck

Fisherman Rob

The bracket that holds the external oil tank for my Yamaha 115 2 stroke down on the deck has rusted up pretty badly. (Turns out just about everyone seems to face this problem at some point... what were they thinking making these out of steel??). Anyway I'm thinking of replacing it with a battery box or something. Anyone know of what products are effective at removing rust stains from fiberglass? I tried CLR, which pulled out some of it, but it still leaves most of the stain.

X2 with barrie, never worked properly for me till I forgot about it one time till morning,
was amazed it was completely gone, scrub vigorously with a small stiff brush then leave it

Urinal cleaner-get it at a commercial janitorial supply-wear rubber gloves-wipe with a wet rag after-dry and probably put a little polish on after. Be careful with it -it is pretty serious acid!Cheap-7.95 a bottle.

I use a marine cleaner called on off, works really good just put it on for 10 mins and hose it off.

Muratic acid (any swimming pool supply place) I cut it 50/50 with water and carefully brush it on, let it sit until the stains are gone and hose it off with lots of fresh water.
Its very strong so wear gloves and goggles.

for smaller stains (e.g. "stainless bolts weeping, ss rails etc) or other types of rust or other marks on the hull I use the Magic Eraser by Mr.Clean. Cheap and handy. Likely won't work on a massive stain and they tend to get torn apart on "non-slip" surfaces, but for rust, blood, or dock "kisses" they work great.

Agree with FD.
Barkeeper's Friend is amazing.
Comes in powder (like Comet) or Soft Scrub (like VIM). I prefer the latter.
Instructions say to rinse off after first minute as it can leave a film in my experience if you leave it too long.
$2.99 at Canadian Tire.
I use it on everything.

sorry

Barkeepers Friend

get a pair of gloves on , soak a wet white cloth with warm water , sprinkle some Keepers powder on there ,
dab it on the stain , generously for heavier stains , watch it pull the stain out in less than 10 minutes , its awesome , rinse well , and wax ,
its not as toxic as some may make you believe , ive had it hit my bare hands , rinsed it off , no biggy ,
ive used it for 3 years now , my hull still looks brand new , removes scum from the boat left in the marina as well ,
i leave my boat in for a week at a time , gets any stains out that soap or other heavy detergents wont ,

i assure you , it wont damage ur hull , try ta keep off metals i was told , again , ive had it land on drains , trailer etc , keep a hose near by and running , rinse off asap , piece of cake !!

fd

Back