Rust causing an electrical charge

Glaciertim

I have been reading about the theory that any type of rusty gear will create an electric charge that repells fish. Even rust on a hook can apparently create this charge. One writer said that this is the reason a newbie with all new gear can catch fish when the others around him are not. I just picked up my Irish Cream lure from last year and noticed that there is some rust on the hook. This made me question whether I should toss the hook and put a new one on.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Apparently downrigger wire connected with metal fittings to a cannon ball will also create a bad electrical charge which is why some boats just can't seem to catch fish.

Any thoughts on this? Should we all replace any gear that has rust on it?

change yor hooks definitely,,, i remove all my "stock" hooks and put quality on ,, rust gets buffed off,,,

and yes rust can cause electrolysis !!!

I remember in years gone by the old guys that used to fish large 50/50 Wonderspoons for estuary "returners".

They would let them rust and tarnish up deliberately until they looked rusty dark brown on a large area of the spoon.

They claimed that this would outfish a brand new shiny one hands down.......

Maybe they fished so well because of the rust and resulting galvanic reaction........or not......but many oldtimers swore by the rusted up ones.........

I was talking to a very good fisherman in Port Renfrew and he said after barbless went into effect, he would just sharpen rusted hooks and leave the rust on the bend. He claimed the rust made it harder for the fish to throw the barbless hook. I have done the same for a few years and see no difference in catch ratio using the sharpened rusted or a new shiney hook. I do paint the newly sharpened portion with black permanent marker pen to keep it from rusting again so fast.

I recycle almost all of my hooks, I buff off all the rust, sharpen and physically test them for strength. I use only good quality hooks and very few of them fail my testing. There are some hooks that it's not even worth trying but they are obvious. I have bought new hooks that won't stand up to good physical scrutiny-so why not test, clean and sharpen up what you have and save your money for more important things like Boat Gas!!!

Back