Ross Reels

ydouask

I've been reading with interest the ongoing discussion(s) regarding various mooching reels from Islander MR'3s to Rapala North Coast to AmundsonTRX 4-G. They all seem to require regular servicing and replaement of springs , etc. How about The ROSS Momentum LT #7 for mooching ??? A bit pricey, but very low maintenance. Is it even in the race, or doesn't the US based Co. feel there is a market for these here in Canada? Just wondering.

While I'm sure the drag on that skookum Ross fly reel would be up to snuff, my understanding is that mooching reels have much hardier specs than fly reels to be able to withstand being packed with 4-500 yards of monofilament line and yet not warp the spool. Fly reels like the Ross Momentum have a lot of the spool cut out to cut weight and allow the fly line to dry, good for a fly reels but I'm guessing not strong enough to prevent warping if packed with mono. Having said that, I think some folks run 8-10 weight fly reels with mono on top of backing for buck tailing. Not sure if it works because of lighter line or less line packed on?

Ukee

Might be great for mooching but who mooches?

98+% of BC Saltwater Salmon fisherman troll using downriggers and who wants to use a fly reel with it's ****** clumsy drag knob needing to be backed off when you hit a fish?

I've done it for laughs but it's not something you'd make a habit of.

momentumlt_4.png

Back