Riptide lure anyone?

Was it really deadly or was fishing better back then?
NO, it was probably one of the best jigging lures I ever had. I had another one I was given by my grandfather called a Bush Ape? It was really good too.

I had a flasher too that you could put down the silliest looking baits or lures behind and it was just a fish magnet.

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the group, but have been searching high and low for information on these lures that I recently acquired from my older half sister. Our father passed away in 1983. I have many memories of fishing with him until I was 17, when he passed. My sister and I reconnected some 3 years ago and she recently asked if I would be interested in some of Dad's fishing that she also acquired from the estate sale. The box of Dad's gear arrived last week and I remember the majority of the items, but I didn't remember these.

I've been searching for two weeks and finally found something as to what they are. THIS TREAD!

I've read some posts and it seems these lures are used for salmon fishing. Am I correct?

Roman from Wisconsin, USA.20240501_210609.jpg

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the group, but have been searching high and low for information on these lures that I recently acquired from my older half sister. Our father passed away in 1983. I have many memories of fishing with him until I was 17, when he passed. My sister and I reconnected some 3 years ago and she recently asked if I would be interested in some of Dad's fishing that she also acquired from the estate sale. The box of Dad's gear arrived last week and I remember the majority of the items, but I didn't remember these.

I've been searching for two weeks and finally found something as to what they are. THIS TREAD!

I've read some posts and it seems these lures are used for salmon fishing. Am I correct?

Roman from Wisconsin, USA.View attachment 105724
Those are the Original Riptides. My Dad owned the company. It’s the lure I use . I have caught hundreds on f Salmon with them. My Tyee fro last year with them

Attachments

• IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 74
I have exactly one of these that I got when I bought a couple used tackle boxes on FB Marketplace a couple years ago. I want to try it, but am afraid to send it down in case it gets snagged or otherwise breaks off. Doesn't seem like it would be very easy to replace.

It's still deadly today. Those that know, know. We never Quit using them, they just got very hard to find after my buddy sadly passed away. At one time his son was going to attempt to reignite the lure range. Not sure where it's at now. Another amazing Vancouver Island produced product range.

It's still deadly today. Those that know, know. We never Quit using them, they just got very hard to find after my buddy sadly passed away. At one time his son was going to attempt to reignite the lure range. Not sure where it's at now. Another amazing Vancouver Island produced product range.
Sounds like another Peetz acquisition play.

Are these jigged like a buzz bomb or is there a different method? I have had a lot of success with buzz bombs over the years however not with riptides.

I have a bunch of them in mostly rough paint condition. They are dense compared to most jigs so they go and stay down better when the tide is running. The longer, narrower ones look good but the shorter ones I'm not so sure about and may be just rock fish fodder.

Pretty sure I have a handful ( 6 - 8 ) of these in an old tackle box I got from my dad’s buddy . They are 3 - 4 inches long If I remember correct. These are a preferred salmon jig ?

This is your typical 1980's OG jig box, loaded with all the popular flavors of the day. Yes, including Rip Tide. These are the colors and sizes that we used in the day.

Attachments

• 20240503_215036.jpg
    20240503_215036.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 54
Back