Remote river trip...

mikep

Hey Guys, ended up on a remote part of the BC coast on the zipperlip river with the jet and this is what we found.....we were looking for steelhead but ended up catching rainbows that were pretty amazing. I wanted to post the pics just to show how cool these fish were.

DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0051.jpg

I am 99% sure those are resident bows which is quite cool to see on short coastal rivers, apparently they like pink worms. Shawn I wish I could do trips like that more often, that was my first trip of this year looking for steelhead. I am going to try and get out a few more times....Having a real job fills the bank account but leaves less time for chasing fish...

I am 99% sure those are resident bows which is quite cool to see on short coastal rivers, apparently they like pink worms. Shawn I wish I could do trips like that more often, that was my first trip of this year looking for steelhead. I am going to try and get out a few more times....Having a real job fills the bank account but leaves less time for chasing fish...

I used to do a lot of that kind of stuff 20nyrs ago when i was young. I can live vicariously thru you now, Mike. :)

Thanks for sharing. Those pics are motivating. Let's all get out and explore...

Impressive resident bows especially for the water. My curiosity would love to know the river but totally respect your privacy. Looks like you had a good trip. No steel?

Yeah I love checking out all of the small ditches that flow into the pacific ocean. It is a small river that I would like to leave named zipperlip creek, it was a big surprise seeing that caliber of rainbow in there.....

Yeah unless people go explore themselves i never divulge where i was. I have fished close to 70 different rivers in my career, many were busts but still had fun

yeah especially for steelhead on small rivers it can be challenging time wise. You need to hit it on the perfect river level.....when the fish are in...

Nice pix, Mike--love seeing a river scene without piles of people on the banks.

I also did a Zipperlip a week ago before the last big flood--- got way up into a canyon that the drift boats can't get into---no people, no footprints, but unfortunately, still a bit too much water volume which made it tough to get at the fish. Where I fish, it's either steel or nothing.... no rainbows to keep things interesting---=you're lucky to have rainbows as a bonus!

I dragged this thing three miles upstream for my adventure:

Two years ago, the conditions on that Zipperlip were a bit better:

Sometimes I think I have better success when my equipment is rattier and more marginal. This was the rig I dragged upstream on that same river two years ago-- nothing like sitting on an upturned laundry basket when taking your dog down through the rapids back to the truck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharphooks, your remote river write-ups are posts I look forward to. I think you make many people envious but happy that you care to share them.

Cool stuff MP...some beauts.

Strictly C&R on that river-- they lived to spawn. Only hatch jobs get the wood shampoo in that neighborhood

Noted your comments.

They are a hearty fish. If you get them on a beach in short order without a lot of commotion, hero shots and high-fiving with your spey bud, they swim away just fine, mortality studies notwithstanding

Last edited by a moderator:
Back