Reminder: Victoria DFO Halibut Quota Mtg. Apr.19 - TONIGHT!

Whole in the Water

Just a reminder of this important meeting. We need a strong showing of rec. fishers who can tell DFO that this program is flawed for many reasons and should be cancelled immediately. PLEASE SHOW UP and bring youjr friends!
Thursday, April 19th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour Hotel, 728 Humboldt Street, Victoria, B.C.

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0272-Halibut Experimental Recreational Fishery Community Information Sessions

A new recreational experimental fishery program was announced in 2011 for
interested recreational stakeholders that will allow them to lease quota from
commercial harvesters. This experimental program will provide access to halibut
beyond the limits of the standard recreational license as well as the
opportunity to continue fishing if the standard recreational fishery were to
close early, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for
business planning purposes.

Community information sessions will provide information and program details for
individuals interested in participating in the halibut experimental
recreational fishery and discuss plans for the long-term implementation of the
program.

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Victoria Marriott Inner Harbour Hotel
728 Humboldt Street, Victoria, B.C.

Monday, April 30th, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Queen Charlotte Community Centre
134 Bay, Queen Charlotte, B.C.

Tuesday, May 1st, 2012 - 6:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Highliner Hotel
815 1 Avenue West, Prince Rupert, B.C.

For further information and to RSVP
Please email: groundfishin@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Or call: 604-666-0912​

I attended tonight. 7 of us recreational fisherman, 3 dfo, and someone typing the whole thing. I believe the message was received. It's frustrating but at the same time I feel it is necessary for "us" to share our thoughts and ideas with the dept. If you would like a copy of the slide show, email groundfishin@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca. There was also a session feedback form that can be faxed or emailed to the same email. I encourage you all to respond to these questions in an email to the department. Questions are:

1) Do you have any suggestions for how the Experimental Halibut Fishery can work effectively regarding fishery guidelines, management measures, or administrative procedures for obtaining a license and quota?

2) Are there any outstanding questions regarding the operational procedures or the proposed regulatory change for the Experimental Halibut Fishery about which you would like more information?

3) Other comments?

I wonder how much quota they could have bought for the rec sector this year, for the total cost of parading these three people around for 2 weeks, paying thier salaries, paying for the venue, hotels, etc, to talk to a total of about 30 people all of which told them to go to hell.

Wow.

Lorne

2 messages...

Was there. I think they got the message.

I agree: the people speaking were direct and articulate in expressing our concerns, our frustration with this "experiment" and our anger that DFO expects us to buy back a community resource. It is an allocation issue. A court decision that determined fish in the ocean are not property until caught was also mentioned. One of the possibilities noted, resulting because of an erosion of goodwill between the regulators and sportsfishers, is that we may ignore new regulations. With very few DFO officers in enforcement, I believe the word used to describe the likely outcome was "anarchy". Another concern was the possibility of increased poaching. It was mentioned that we may be seeing some retribution (for the 3%) from the commies on Constance Bank - longlining. It was suggested that exclusion zones may become necessary to protect the halibut fishery and to provide assurance for the sportsfishing segment. The consensus was that we had a good solution to allocation years ago but that was sabotaged by politicians and DFO, so we are only circling back to arrive where we came from.

It's a shame that only 7 of us showed. It certainly does not suggest keen interest from us sportfishers - and I'm sure that will be telegraphed back to Ottawa, too.

Sadly, I wasn't aware of this meeting. I obviously missed the advert (my bad) otherwise I would have showed and told'em unequivocally that this 'SHAM' is exactly that!

I was unaware of the meeting, due to other issues keeping me off the water and aff the forum lately. I hope the legal thrust and clarity of the arguments presented carry as much weight when presented regardless of the number of fishers in attendance.

I was unaware of the meeting, due to other issues keeping me off the water and aff the forum lately. I hope the legal thrust and clarity of the arguments presented carry as much weight when presented regardless of the number of fishers in attendance.

if you want to express your opinions on this program, send off an email to groundfishin@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca. There was a session feedback form that can emailed to the same email. I encourage you all to respond to these questions in an email to the department. Questions are:

1) Do you have any suggestions for how the Experimental Halibut Fishery can work effectively regarding fishery guidelines, management measures, or administrative procedures for obtaining a license and quota?

2) Are there any outstanding questions regarding the operational procedures or the proposed regulatory change for the Experimental Halibut Fishery about which you would like more information?

3) Other comments?

Back