REDs or WHITES ?

Fishallspec

Since there are some very astute people here I have a Question.Is it possible to tell the difference between a RED and White Spring Salmon from its physical appearence? It is allways kind of a mystery until you get home, put the knife in and...."Hey its a white!" I have caught a few marbled ones as well, hell thats just confusing!

No way of telling until you put the knife in...
my preference is the red, maybe just visual.
but i find the white too oily

Boy if you guys were down here in Oregon you would have to be real careful. Some of the Fish just might call you racist.:D

Rather eat whites, myself. Bellies BBQ'ed just melt in your mouth. Different look doesn't hurt. Blackberry hollandaise on a red ?

I just finished canning 160 jars of salmon and canned a few whites. What I did first with the white spring is BRINE the meat for a few hours as if your doing a canned smoke process however don't smoke it take it out of the brine, dry it with paper towels and straight into the canning jars!!! All of my picky taste testers so far have said they have never tasted any thing like it and said it was better than the regular canned red!

Back