Radio question - Sooke gang...

Little Hawk

Howdy,

Just wanted to touch base with all you Sooke boys to find out what
radio ya all yak on.

I picked up an old CB and installed it on my old Zeta( it was a great deal, couldn't resist). Does anyone
use CB's out Sooke way? If so, what channel?

What about them FRS hand-helds? I have a couple of those too. Anyone use'em? Channel?

Or... am I going to have to bite-it and get me one them VHS's?
What VHS channel do you guy's monitor out at the Head/Trap?

Please help edgejimacate me...

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Cheers,
Terry

Best get a VHF for the big waters AND learn how to use it. It would be the ****s if I was sinking around the point you were fishing and couldn't respond to my Mayday.

Vice a versa - ;)

A VHS isn't going to help you too much, except to watch old movies. Get a VHF and tune into channel 68.

Actually, I think the company that combines a VHF with an FRS/GMRS radio would have a great product. That way, there would be access to hundreds of private radio channels where you can have a side-bar conversation without everyone on 68 picking up your fishing secrets. [8D]

The power squadron guys put on some great courses for using VHF radios. Takes 3 evenings, you write an exam and get your certificate -- legally you are supposed to have the certificate if you own and operate a mobile station.

GOOD POINT,I am reasoning that any smalll craft boat on the ocean should have,mandatory,a VHF radio. Then the DFO etc could also check a boater the same time they check barbless hooks.Definetely a safety/responsibility concern for everyone.

Yep, you are supposed to carry your Maritime Marine Operators Certificate with your radio at all times. DFO doesn't check that one, it's done by Industry Canada's Spectrum Management personnel. I did the MMOC course in the spring and have my card in the boat -- doubt I will ever need to show it.

Note however, that improper use of your radio can result in hefty fines, loss of your radio and jail time (e.g. sending out a false mayday or continued use of profane language on the safety channels). The Canadian and US Coast guard can get a pretty accurate fix on your location.

There is an excellent overview of proper radio use here: http://boating.ncf.ca/vhf.html

Howdy,

VHS ???

How bout' BETA?

Man-O-Man... I guess I didn't have enough coffee into me when I posted that one.

Oh well, never had a problem with a few laughs at my expense.

Looks like I'm gittin' me one of them there VHO (very high output) radios.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Terry

I also carry a handheld waterproof vhf also. In rough water pulling up my halibut anchor I like to clip it one me just in case. Now heres a question, for sooke area, what is the best setting, CAN, USA or INTERNATIONAL ?

Here is a question. If the Coast Guard sends a message out that we should check to see if we have our mike on, how could we hear their message if we have our mike on? I hear them say this on the radio way to often. Not sure how some one could have the darn thing pressed in for that long. Could it be a faulty radio? GLG

Back