Questions on podding a boat.

walleyes

Crew Member
I have been catching up on some of the rebuilds taking place on the site and I have some questions. If the experienced guys could help that would be awesome. Excuse me if some of my terminology is wrong i am not a big boat guy so some of the names I use may not be accurate.

In regards to the fellow doing the 26' Hurston rebuild in particular.

When you guys pod these units is there not some concern as to the strength of the whole stern plate as a whole. If you know what I mean. Yes I see you have double plated the stern with 5/8 over what ever else was there and the pod is secure to that. But my concern is,, how strong is the stern plate itself to the sides of the boat. Sitting in the water I can see it balancing out some, under tourqe it would put a lot of stress on the sides and a big concern for me is when it's being trailered. I am not a boat expert by any means but I am an equipment man and understand stress points. Looking at that pod hanging off the back of that boat with as much weight as its packing causes a bit of concern for me. And the farther back it hangs the more stress it creates do to the fullcrum of the pivot point. That boat was built and designed to hold an inboard engine as such it would have been engineered to hold the weight in the belly of the boat and not designed with a lot of concern with tourque or weight on the stern plate itself. What keeps that whole stern plate from eventually weakening and starting to break free from the sides of the boat itself. To me this would be a huge concern. No doubt there is now over 2" of stern plate but how much meat is there holding the stern plate onto the rest of the boat.

A pod places the stress of the weight over a larger area of the transom generally mounted in a 16"x 14" area depending on the design whereas a boat leg places all the stress in an (9"x12") area and outboard where it mounts you can guess that one. When a boat is under power at plane the stress of the motor pushing a boat is at its max as you can think of the boat being help up by the leg whether it is a podded outboard, sterndrive or outboard mounted on the transom. The engine in a sterndrive does not carry any weight of these stresses, just the leg. Sure others will pipe in but that is theory I know of.

I am also curious as I don't notice additional bracing, just fibreglass in the corners and stringers/floor to the transom? Has anyone added bracing from floor / stringers to the stern, like they have in riveted boats. Is it needed?
Inquiring minds want to know.:)

I added a brace from my transom to my stringers but I think it is overkill.I have never heard of a transom being torn off by a bracketed boat, hear more transom failures due to rot. Albernifisher has done a few of these and his work is excellent maybe he will have some answers.

Thanks sk01. I am in the process of podding my K&C. The pods mounted but floors not in yet. Any chance you could put up a photo of the brace.

Anybody have any input?

Back