Question

Theb55

Is anyone aware of any research on the effects of sounder pings on fish and mammals?

It depends on the frequency and the power or volume. Some US navy sonars can have sea mammals trying to join us on land to get away from the sounds.

What about the every day sonar units recreational fishermen and guides use. I am aware the sonar the navy uses causes extreme harm to orcas.

I've thought about this myself. Probably too low a power to do any harm but I always turn my sonar off if there's a pod around.

What about the every day sonar units recreational fishermen and guides use. I am aware the sonar the navy uses causes extreme harm to orcas.
My own experience is that younger Orcas seem to like a boat leaving it's sounder on as they cavort around-older ones just ignore the sound AFAICT.

But this is just anecdotal evidence not a scientific study.

I turn mine off as well with the engines. Hoping they will come right at us, which they usually do. Good for the guests to see them swim right under the boat.

I had Orcas under my boat several times despite the sounder on. Don't think it bothers them a bit.

We're supposed to learn about transducers this year in fouth year electrical. I'll let you know if I learn anything interesting. Perhaps DantheWire knows something??

Dave

I believe that would be the Orca frequency!! I.e. the sound Orca's make in the water. I believe there is some posts about that elsewhere on this forum, where folks have tried playing Orca sounds through hydrophones into the water to scare seals and have had some success.........

I believe that would be the Orca frequency!! I.e. the sound Orca's make in the water. I believe there is some posts about that elsewhere on this forum, where folks have tried playing Orca sounds through hydrophones into the water to scare seals and have had some success.........
I would also think that it would scare the crap out of the salmon too, no?? As the Orcas eat salmon quite a bit right?

Anyone know what frequency would drive the whiskered rock sausages NUTS? heh heh heh ;-)

This one will **** someone off for sure, so to clarify in advance, it is a joke, but i have to pull the "trigger" on this one, it is too good to let go;). I believe that the offensive frequency to these little buggers is on the dial at 12ga. and in stereo with the double barrel model.:p

I would also think that it would scare the crap out of the salmon too, no?? As the Orcas eat salmon quite a bit right?

Well the Southern residents eat salmon. But the Northern transients eat only marine mammals. Presumably these different pods will have different sound dialects. Therefore play the right sounds and maybe you can scare seals without affecting salmon (even assuming the salmon are as smart as seals and would recognise Orca sounds as a "danger signal" in the first place, which they might not).

Well the Southern residents eat salmon. But the Northern transients eat only marine mammals. Presumably these different pods will have different sound dialects. Therefore play the right sounds and maybe you can scare seals without affecting salmon (even assuming the salmon are as smart as seals and would recognise Orca sounds as a "danger signal" in the first place, which they might not).

Yes the spacey 'New Age' sounds of the Residents are well know-Transients sound completely different-like a room full of angry cats

Chris, I'm just being polite when I turn mine off ;)

I heard of gillnetters playing Orca sounds on hydrophones to scare off sea lions years ago. They said it worked but I never had a chance to try it. Neither hydrophone nor tape to play.
I also saw trollers using float bags shaped like Orca fins. The guy told me it worked as long as there were other trollers around

Back