Puntledge River Fishing

S

snowwhite

Just woundering if anyone has afishing report of the Puntledge River thanks Snowwhite

Hey SW,
Fished the Puntledge the last couple days. Not many fish down by Condensory bridge, unless you hit them as they move through. With the high tides and rains today and tomorrow, the fish should push through in numbers, then they will fill up the usual areas. Further up the river we have been getting some decent springs and the occasional 'ho and today I hit the first chums I've seen in the river. They are in very good shape. Wool and colorado blades have been my ammo. Tomorrow should be a good day for cork down!

"It all starts with fur and feathers"

quote:
Is it C&R?

beachcomber NANOOSE
Nope. You an take an aggregate of 4 salmon per day.
made up from the following limits:
4 coho, 2 of which can be over 35 cm.
1 spring
2 chumlies
If you have a good day, you can take home a mess 'o fish.

"It all starts with fur and feathers"

Pat,

How's the water level near the hatchery? Can you fish both sides or only the side away from the cliffs?

I was up last year and the little colorados couldn't be beat. I was getting strikes ... not just flossing with wool.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

i have caught lots of steelhead on just wool ive also caught ho's n springs......saw the steely chase it and take it so i know th fish also bith the wool...

Kelly & Steelheadman,

Whoah! Before I start a war here, let me explain. The difference I was trying to explain was between suddenly feeling "weight" on the rod with the wool setups I was using and having the rod tip bounce enough that the guys fishing around me would comment on the violent take. I think its just the difference between a curious take and an angry one by the mutts.

It was just a poor choice of words. Besides, isn't the term "flossing" reserved for fishing socks at Papermill Dam?

I hope that clears it up.

OK, I have been fishing since I was seven years old. Fished the Vedder for 10 years and have been in Courtenay for 8. 40 years old today if your doing the the math. Hoping now to fish the Puntledge seeing as its been open a couple of years and things are looking good. (I've been hinting on a fancy new level wind real for my birthday :) I noticed someone submitted that with the rain coho are moving into there usual spots. We used to have names for those spots on the Vedder like the ie. the meat hole etc. How can a old guy like me, who was born to fish find the hot spots to enjoy lifes greatest pleasure. Any tips ie. floating roe or fly fishing would be great.

Thanx in advance.

FISH ON!!!

Greetings Eagle,

Firstly, no bait is allowed so you'll be using other methods. Try the pool at the condensory bridge if you miss the crowds on the Vedder.

But seriously, follow the trails downstream of the bridge, there aren't many secrets there and it can get quite busy but there are a few areas. Where the river turns right (?east?), you can cast 15-40ft to reach the fish from shore or skinny water into decent runs as the fast water is on the opposite shore. Not too far from the saltwater boundary.

If you are wading down the river from the middle (quite doable before the heavy rains), look for undercuts near the bank. A "seasoned" fisher told me the Coho like to travel there. Too bad thats where all the gear nabbing roots are too.

Maybe someone else will post info on the hatchery area. There was a decent article a while back in the "Island Fisherman" magazine on fly fishing for Chum on the Puntledge. I've tied up a few sparkle chenille wooly worms in Blue, Green, purple and mixed colors. I'll be out in about a week to test them out.

Cheers,
Alex

Back