Prawn Poachers Caught

S

Steely

Finally !!!!

http://web.bcnewsgroup.com/portals-code/list.cgi?cat=23&paper=50&id=638136

"Prawns safe; Navy displays colours"

Prawn fishers in Nanoose Bay are breathing a little easier this week after a joint RCMP and Canadian Coast Guard operation nabbed a suspected prawn poacher in the Nanoose Bay area.
Oceanside RCMP Corporal Greg Cox says a resident of the area got suspicious while observing a boat prowling around prawn traps and called the police. The witness called police and then kept an eye on the blue and white private vessel from shore.
Cpl. Garry Cox says the complainant called in to say the suspect boat was headed offshore.
“The guys went down there and one stayed on shore and called the Coast Guard, who tracked the boat down and boarded it,” Cox says.
The Coast Guard personnel found some allegedly stolen prawn traps on the boat and arrested two suspects, who now face charges of theft, mischief and possession of stolen property.
Coastal Watch programs are in effect for the summer and Cox says all available resources will be used to track and prosecute any illegal activity that occurs at sea.
Anyone who sees anything suspicious on the water is asked to contact the Oceanside RCMP at 248-6111 or call Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
• The HMCS Ottawa was decked out in full colours on Friday in Esquimalt to celebrate the 80th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II.
In accordance with Navy ceremony, operational ships of the Canadian Navy do what is called dressing overall with the national flag at the masthead from 8 a.m. to sunset. The ships were decorated with signal flags over the mast from bow to stern, with the national flag at the masthead.
Do you have a nautical story to tell?
Contact Shipping News at 248-2545 ext. 219.

Have had crab traps stolen - nothing better than catching the theiving b-stards

quote:Originally posted by 5-Salt Fever

Have had crab traps stolen - nothing better than catching the theiving b-stards
I caught a guy 'red handed' last summer with my crab trap in Cowichan Bay.

I have lost many crab traps over the years, and sure that
some were stolen
what would you do besides the obvious pointed comment
to the thief?
you're both in boats, so you can't punch him in the nose
by the time you call the cops, the guy is long gone

it's sure not like thieving on land...

What Goes Around Comes Around.....yahoo... Its sometime a long time comin...[}:)]But do I love it when it Lands!!;)They deserve what they got coming[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

I have lost many crab traps over the years, and sure that
some were stolen
what would you do besides the obvious pointed comment
to the thief?
you're both in boats, so you can't punch him in the nose
by the time you call the cops, the guy is long gone

it's sure not like thieving on land...
In my case ,I was coming in from fishing and as usual,I cruised by some bouys looking for my missing trap(s).Another guy was checking gear and we approached the same trap.I saw one looked like mine and as I got close I thought I could see my # under spray paint.I got close and grabbed it.Guy said it was his!He had sprayed over my name and #.Now it was easy to see.He then put his name on it.I pulled it into my boat and he sat there watching me.I asked him about it and he gave me a story about finding it on the beach.I asked why he didn't call the # .He didn't have an answer.Another friend saw us and stopped by.I told him and he wanted to run this guy down.Everyone in Cowichan heard about it by that afternoon.This guy is a local and everyone knows him.Also,he is out there nearly every day.We all keep a close watch on him now and he knows it.

sad state of affairs when they have to poach
from someone else's gear.
i hope they they read the forum and realize what low
life they are.
i guess they don't have the talent to go out and
do it on their own ....

Next time someone spots this (or any other) boat/operator up to no good, follow the advice from the DFO website (address & excerpt supplied). Should this individual receive a fine or conviction, the message will be broadcast in their community... DO NOT STEAL TRAPS OR CATCH!

www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/ops/cp/orr_e.htm

How Can You Help?

Fishery officers are responsible for the enforcement of fisheries regulations, but the job is an enormous one. British Columbia is a vast area where fishing often takes place in remote areas. To assist the fishery officers, we ask you to:

Observe, Record and Report

Observe
Some common violations are:

Exceeding the daily bag limit or catch quota for fish;
Fishing in closed areas;
Taking protected species or undersized fish;
Using illegal gear;
Selling fish taken by sport fishing;
Damaging fish habitat; and
Polluting the environment.

Record
Carry a pencil and record your observations in note form as soon as you can. Photographs are useful, if they can be taken without alarming or alerting the violator. Notes should include:

Date, time and location;
Identity of violators and companions or an accurate description of them;
Boat or vehicle description;
Evidence at the scene; and
Action of the violator(s).
Report violations as soon as possible Fisheries and Oceans Canada by calling toll-free:

1-800-465-4336*

or 666-3500* in Greater Vancouver

Or, call your local Crimestoppers Program.

Information on callers is kept confidential. Name and a contact phone number are requested so that responding officers can contact the caller to get further detail on the violation if necessary. You can also request a call back from the investigating officer. Callers can remain anonymous and not provide a name/contact number to the operator. Callers are not required to testify in court.

quote:Originally posted by scottyboy

buster what kinda boat does he have???
small fiberglass rowboat.Keeps it at the ceremonial beach by 'Inn at the water'.Lives in the old house at the end of the road above the beach.
A group of people went and talked to him after this incident and told me that he is a problem.Lots of people are aware of him now and keep an eye on him.He keeps a few traps straight out from the beach in deep water and goes out almost every day.

Back