Possible Chinook Closure Northern BC

Terrin is the posterchild for the people who are fueling the wrong solutions for our fisheries....

Last edited:
Terrin seems to be of the opinion that ocean-based fish farms are a part of the problem, and I would absolutely agree. Are you saying fish farms arent a threat?

This thread is making my head spin. o_O

Terrin seems to be of the opinion that ocean-based fish farms are a part of the problem, and I would absolutely agree. Are you saying fish farms arent a threat?

To Nass and Skeena stocks? Yeah I think it’s a pretty big stretch

Fraser river stocks or other stocks that migrate threw the Brighton archipelago that’s a different story.

I also think it’s extremely reckless to portray the image that if fish farms are gone that salmon will suddenly have some miracle recovery.

With all the issues out their it’s not the one I’d put my money behind. Also the groups that are going after fish farms are so against us on some many other more pressing issues like seal culls, wanting total fishing closures for SRKW ect

Blaming BC fish farms for poor salmon returns from California to southern Alaska is over the top.

Im completely against ocean fishfarms.
But if you want actual results...watch what happens when you stop the FN netting in the rivers.
I have no problem not fishing...but only if the genocide of inriver netting stops!!

At some point "drastic" measures such as these will have to be implemented if we want to continue to fish for the species we currently fish for. The current model is not even remotely close to sustainable, and the slaughter that goes on both commercially and recreationally on the north coast and westward is pretty staggering. I wonder how the landscape would change if all sportfishing in BC was catch+release only.

Too bad there’s no thumbs down option. There wouldn’t be a landscape.

This is really becoming a bit like Groundhog Day. Pretty sure I have mentioned this once or twice that there are already enough threads started to discuss the many potential causes of the demise of Chinook Salmon. So, yet again, let's stop derailing every thread with the same statements that have been beat to death and stay on topic.

Yes indeed, GHD redux.

Back on topic, while the early indications are that a serious conservation concern may exist, we still don't have the full stock assessment. The news reporter (as they often do) wanted to sniff around for a sensational story that would have legs.

Let's wait and see what stock assessment shapes up to look like...and also bear in mind the assessment is only an educated forecast. We've seen forecasts that are off by 100% many years before. Example being the forecast for the Stamp River last year was something like (don't quote my memory) 30,000 fish under the actual run.

WCVI Chinook forecast appears to be changing UP. Early troll DNA is suggesting much stronger ocean survival for these fish. Let's hope the Northern guys fair better than forecast.

Looking to the northern border...... Releasing 260 million salmon smolts every year cant be helping. They need to eat.

DFO voices concern about 2018 salmon runs on B.C.'s North Coast
Official says fallout from the warm-water Pacific 'blob' years ago is still impacting ecosystems
salmon-skeena-estuary.jpg

Young salmon in the Skeena River estuary. Fisheries and Oceans Canada is developing management plans for Northern B.C. fisheries which an official said could have "uncertain" fishing opportunities. (Tavish Campbell)
As salmon fisheries get set to open on B.C.'s North Coast in the next few months, anxiety in the region is high.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is preparing 2018 management plans for the various fisheries in the region.

That includes major salmon-bearing rivers in B.C. like the Skeena and Nass, which are important for First Nations, subsistence fishers and tourism.

But one DFO official says the department is already anticipating below average runs and closures or restrictions on catch limits are possible.

"Fishing opportunities are uncertain," said Pacific director of salmon management Jennifer Nener.

"We've really seen a coast-wide trend, specifically with chinook … with reduced returns, lower productively levels.

"We're quite concerned. We're not sure exactly how it's going to play out."

The two salmon species of concern, Nener said, are chinook and sockeye.

She says fewer fish are returning to spawn and they are coming back in reduced size, which could mean fewer eggs and fewer fish in the next generation.

Full closure not likely
Nener says the suspected culprit behind the poor runs is the Pacific Ocean "blob," a mass of warm water that has lingered for years and disrupted marine ecosystems.

It hurt salmon, she said, by disrupting cold-water organisms like zooplankton that they feed on. She says it could still take several years for salmon to recover from the blob's effects.

Giving the example of Skeena River sockeye, Nener says current estimates call for about 640,000 fish to return to spawn. Anything under 600,000 would cause the department to close the fishery.

But, she stressed, estimates are not always correct, so the department is taking a "precautionary" approach. A total closure of salmon fishing on the North Coast is "pretty hard to imagine," she said.

'There'd be a lot of boats for sale'
Still, according to a sport fisher who is advising DFO on their management plan, the threat of any significant closures is serious.

Dave Lewis with the Prince Rupert Sport Fishing Advisory Board says closures could threaten the local tourism economy, which relies on charter fishing for direct and spin-off jobs.

"People have a lot of concern up here and not knowing is not helping things," he said. "There's a lot of uncertainty for the ocean. There's definitely talk of cuts. How drastic, we'll see."

Avoiding all-out closures is the goal, he said, as are any sudden closures that could impact advance bookings from tourists who flock to the region to catch chinook.

"If fishing's closed, they wouldn't be coming," he said.

"There'd be a lot of boats for sale because people can't pay the bills if they're not working."

Nener says consultation on the management plan will wrap up in early April and the plan for the North Coast should be ready in early June.

With files from George Baker

An average-sized humpback whale will eat 4,400-5,500 pounds (2000-2500 kg) of plankton, krill and small, schooling fish each day during the feeding season in cold waters (about 120 days). They eat twice a day.

Though the North Pacific population was previously estimated between 6,000 to 8,000, a recent population estimate based on 2004-2006 data was slightly over 18,000 individuals. Despite this dramatic increase, current numbers are considerably smaller than pre-whaling population estimates.

That 500 Tonnes of Krill will feed a **** load of sockeye but would barley feed a few humpback whales for 1 season.

So again if our focus is increasing whale populations then we pretty much have to stop all bait fishing.

Whales sneak into shallow water to eat salmon from hatcheries

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-shallow-water-to-eat-salmon-from-hatcheries/

Last edited:
Are you implying that there is no way fish farms could be having an impact on salmon that aren't within very close proximity? You do realize that both salmon and pathogens can move right?

Again, wow! Read the comments .. people are blaming mid coast salmon farms on collapsing sockeye and chinook stocks on the Skeena and SW Alaska; doesn't matter the stocks being discussed most likely have not been within a few hundred km of said farms - did they not read what Masson said? Was he lying?

Are you implying that there is no way fish farms could be having an impact on salmon that aren't within very close proximity? You do realize that both salmon and pathogens can move right?

Tincan, take the argument to one of the many fish farm threads, In sure dave and other would be happy to debate their. The admin has already reminded us twice in this thread to stay on topic!

haaaacheeew, hey dave you have as disease now....... oh pardon me, A VIRUS
i know your miles away but it does travel ;)

Back