Port Moody Salmon Hatchery Burns Down

GDW

The building and this years brood stock are both a total loss. Just saw it on CTV news - sorry no link.

Able drain will be donating materials and labour to help get er going again.. I grew up catching ho's from this hatchery.. Gonna be some hungry cutties this year..

uga4yvyd.jpg

The last female..

3e4y8a9a.jpg

Totally destroyed!! Psf and a bunch of locals are already committing money and time to rebuild..110,000 fertilized eggs gone...

vugybeqe.jpg

Lone survivors ,, 4400 coho fry.. A big thanks to port moody fire dept for doing what they could. Sad day at what was a great community hatchery... CBC is here doing interviews. Please help if you can.

I was one of those high school students that helped get this project off the ground in 1977 through 79. The first year (76) had a complete loss of all fish due to an illegal dumping of fill by Jack Cewe limited above the intake that killed off all the fry. That dumping was allowed by the city of Port Moody and the court case was precedent setting as it was one of the first where the federal department of fisheries actually sued the municipality (Port Moody) as well as the contractor (Cewe) for the damages and won.

In 77 we had our first successful release of chum fry and in 1981 we had our first successful return of Chum adults. As a BCIT Fish and Wildlife student I enumerated those returning adults. If I remember correctly there was an estimated return of 220 adults. The two teachers involved were Ruth Foster and Rod MacVicar who were both excellent teachers and dedicated environmentalists. The program has flourished and has actually created a new highschool course at Centennial for F&W. The program has also been expanded as part of the Burrard Inlet Marine Environmental Society and Ruth and Rod's involvement continues to this day.

Devastating news, but I know that the program is still solid and I am sure they will rebuild.

http://www.mossomcreek.org/about_us/founders

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Christmas lights survived I hope the fire isn't traced back to some silly lights. Will the hatchery be able to keep those 4,400 fish alive? Hopefully they are not clipped and by the time they come back they will have a fancy new hatchery for their fry.

The survivors have enough flow to keep alive... The goal is to be able to get things going so next fall the hatchery is back in full swing...

I was one of those high school students that helped get this project off the ground in 1977 through 79. The first year (76) had a complete loss of all fish due to an illegal dumping of fill by Jack Cewe limited above the intake that killed off all the fry. That dumping was allowed by the city of Port Moody and the court case was precedent setting as it was one of the first where the federal department of fisheries actually sued the municipality (Port Moody) as well as the contractor (Cewe) for the damages and won.

In 77 we had our first successful release of chum fry and in 1981 we had our first successful return of Chum adults. As a BCIT Fish and Wildlife student I enumerated those returning adults. If I remember correctly there was an estimated return of 220 adults. The two teachers involved were Ruth Foster and Rod MacVicar who were both excellent teachers and dedicated environmentalists. The program has flourished and has actually created a new highschool course at Centennial for F&W. The program has also been expanded as part of the Burrard Inlet Marine Environmental Society and Ruth and Rod's involvement continues to this day.

Devastating news, but I know that the program is still solid and I am sure they will rebuild.

http://www.mossomcreek.org/about_us/founders

Fin.... remember this???? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCuLeXhvx0&feature=youtu.be

Great teaching program that just kept growing...........

3e4y8a9a.jpg

Totally destroyed!! Psf and a bunch of locals are already committing money and time to rebuild..110,000 fertilized eggs gone...

A rotten deal of course. I'm sure the facility will be rebuilt with a lot of volunteer effort.

Like most small streams around the lower mainland there will be late Coho returning, sometimes into February. Maybe some broodstock can still be taken and raised at another hatchery.

Back