Plug speed on Cowichan Lake for Cutties.

Sea Ranger

I will be going up to Cowichan lake in about 3 weeks and was wondering about the speed you should troll 3 or 4 inch plugs when fishing for Cutthroat. Can I troll a gang troll and worm on one side of the boat and troll plugs on the other side or would the speed for the plugs be too fast for the gang troll and worm.
While I'm at it.... can anyone suggest a plug color or plug number I could try or is there something better to use to catch the big cutties. I was going to fish all the creek mouths like Nixon, Shaw, Cottonwood area. If anyone has any other places near Youbou that are good fishing spots let me know..... thanks.... Steve.

hey I have found you can only troll one or the other, gangtroll slow, and the plugs a bit quiker, Ive had luck on the frog coloured plug also the pearl looking one , oh yeah and the rainbow trout lookin one, And as far as fishing the creek mouths , they are all hot now, with the rain we have had up here. Big shaw , Nixon and Cottonwood are probly my faves

Nitnat_Junkie

Thanks for the tips NJ, I'll be up there Nov 9th to the 12th and I hope we have good weather. I'll be staying near the old mill at Youbou and fishing from there. I'm going to fish near the shore and creek mouths with plugs fished at about 12 to 15 feet deep.
Do you think there would be big cutties out in the middle and to troll the plugs at 20 to 40 feet or would I be better off fishing only the creek mouths?

well right now I think that the fish are closer to shore/creek mouths, but you would still have luck a bit further out, another good spot to fish is along the narrows, right across from where you are, the side across from gordon bay, there are tons of little waterfalls along there, which makes for good fishing, i see boats there all day long,

Nitnat_junkie

Back