Pinks in campbell river 2023

Pinks seem to be late but lots coming as the Tyee Pool was lousy with them last night.
Seems to be lots more angler pressure over the weekend and certainly lots of Pinks coming along.

Take care.

Pinks seem to be late but lots coming as the Tyee Pool was lousy with them last night.
Seems to be lots more angler pressure over the weekend and certainly lots of Pinks coming along.

Take care.
There are some fish, not a lot in both rivers. Once they are in the Quinsam, they shoot right up to the hatchery - water is too low for them to hold anywhere.

I fished it Friday with my son just above the logging rd. bridge. It was pretty busy. I haven't fly fished much in years, lost a few, landed one nice one. It was my son's first time river fishing, he was casting a float/drift setup that I need to figure out how to rig better for him - I've never float fished - and he had no success...

We saw a few guys that were dialled in though and were catching several, especially the guy fly fishing across the river from me in he seemed to be pulling them in every third or fourth cast...

Biggest thing float fishing pinks in CR is making sure you get your presentation down where the fish are. Little float jigs have worked really well for me in deeper holes.
Saw a guy pull two out the other night drifting a 1/4 oz jig and a pink steelhead worm under a float.

Biggest thing float fishing pinks in CR is making sure you get your presentation down where the fish are. Little float jigs have worked really well for me in deeper holes.
Saw a guy pull two out the other night drifting a 1/4 oz jig and a pink steelhead worm under a float.
Thanks. We'll give that a try. He was drifting a pink fly with some split shot. But we didn't have the general set up right either, the float was drifting way too high in the water. Maybe we need a smaller float and/or some more weight under it. I feel bad because this is how he wants to fish, but I don't have any experience to pass on to him in it. Maybe I'll have to pick up a center pin reel and join him...

I was using a light MOW tip with 5' of T-8, maybe I'll try a full 10' sink next time. Or maybe a T-11 and get it down there quicker.

Thanks. We'll give that a try. He was drifting a pink fly with some split shot. But we didn't have the general set up right either, the float was drifting way too high in the water. Maybe we need a smaller float and/or some more weight under it. I feel bad because this is how he wants to fish, but I don't have any experience to pass on to him in it. Maybe I'll have to pick up a center pin reel and join him...

I was using a light MOW tip with 5' of T-8, maybe I'll try a full 10' sink next time. Or maybe a T-11 and get it down there quicker.
Fishing with Rod has lots of good tutorials on float fishing rivers, I would point him that direction to get the setup and presentation dialed in.

For the float fishing, if you use a dink float that slides on the line and those bobber stops, you can adjust your depth. Your lead (assuming your using lead shot or pencil weights) should be bumping the bottom every now and then. If you're presentation is not in the bottom 1/4 of the water column then you got no chance. Otherwise, it's not too complicated and definitely something you or your kid can google or youtube for more details.

If he gets bored with float fishing, try pink spinners and pink jigs. Same concept applies, be in the bottom 1/4 of the water column, but it's a bit more forgiving since there's some attractive action to the lure so even if you're only in the bottom 1/2, you still stand a chance of getting a fish interested. But it's definitely important to put your presentation in their face.

Also spend some time looking over the bridge / scouting the fish and find out where the fish are lining up. Only fish where the fish are stacking up... goes without saying but it's amazing how many people fish dead water for hours, especially at the popular spots like the bridge. If you can't get your way into a spot where the fish are, then move on and find a new spot.

Those that just "fish" don't usually catch.

Those that spend a bit of time "hunting" tend to catch more often.

the number of pinks in the river is completely absurd this year. there are so many that they are swimming back down river in the thousands because of congestion further up.

you pray your bobber drops because if one doesn't bite, there is a 75% chance you're going to foul hook one on your retrieve.

i have actually moved to targeting the springs instead. casting to the back half of the river lets you get above the pinks before you reel over them so you avoid fighting 50 foul hooked fish/day. caught a 15-20 lb king the other day and saw another guy land one that had to be 25-30+.

Goats22, switch to circle hooks. Zero foul hooked fish. A lot of times, you can feel the hook sliding over their backs. It won't stick in. When you get a bite, the trick is not to set the hook, or you'll likely pull it out of the fish's mouth. Just let the fish turn and pull away, and the hook slides into the corner of the mouth, and won't come out. It's hard to break the habit of setting the hook, but that's what you have to do. Try to remember; don't set the hook!

Good advice BB! I have used circle hooks and had the same results. However it is getting hard to find circle hooks in sizes suitable for salmon. Gamagaksu makes octopus circle hooks though the smallest size I am aware of is #4. Mustad made a streamer hook but that model seems to be discontinued. Most of the other makes available are sized for halibut and shark.

Hi Ralph! How's it going?
That's a shame about Mustad dropping their circle streamer hook (C71SSS or C71NPS). When I used to flyfish rivers for salmon, I used that hook in #4 (dressed sparsely), which I thought wasn't too big. Salmon have much larger mouths than the little 8-10 inch cutthroat that I caught as a kid, using #8 hooks.

I see that Gammy circle hooks are available down to #8, at least on the U.S. market, but maybe not for us Canucks:

Sweet! I've been looking for a replacement for the ol' mustad circle hooks. I still have a few (tying up some flies with 'em now), but I'm running out. Thanks!

I thought I had a pack of octopus circles somewhere. Thanks for motivating me to find them!

Attachments

• PXL_20230830_021232013.jpg
    PXL_20230830_021232013.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 15
Sounds like I'm not the only one who dislikes hauling fish in sideways and against the current! Even when I was young and strong, it got old real fast. I lightened up my leaders, so I could break them off right away. Then I heard about circle hooks somewhere, and never looked back. Nowadays, I have to preserve what's left of my toothpick arms.

Last edited:
Back