Parking a detached trailer on a hill

mbowers

What's the consensus on leaving a detached trailer on the street on a medium slope hill with just a chock behind the wheel? Busy pedestrian area with a T intersection one block below trailer. Dangerous or no big deal? Asking for a neighbour who is currently doing this.

Probably ok however could be an accident waiting to happen especially if pranksters around.

Could easily be secured by a chain or cable lock through one wheel onto frame.

At a minimum make sure wheels are facing into curb if there is one.

Pretty sure you can't legally park a trailer on the street. Trailers, when parked, must always be attached to vehicles. I would say that if anything were to happen the owner would be liable for any damages.

Pretty sure you can't legally park a trailer on the street. Trailers, when parked, must always be attached to vehicles. I would say that if anything were to happen the owner would be liable for any damages.
The rules vary by municipality, but in Vancouver Casper5280 is right. Trailers cannot be parked on the street detached from the vehicle.

Probably ok however could be an accident waiting to happen especially if pranksters around.

Could easily be secured by a chain or cable lock through one wheel onto frame.

At a minimum make sure wheels are facing into curb if there is one.

This works, and if it is going to be there for a while block it up and put a lock on the ball coupler.

It's definitely illegal where I am, I was just wondering if it's dangerous. Seems like the verdict is yes it's dangerous. There is nothing locking the wheels, just chocks behind them and they are not angled into the curb. Since it's a single axle, one sideways push on the tongue and off the rig would go I would guess.

Back