Painting the Hull of an Aluminum?

Pippen

Hey Guys,

Checking into the great amount of resources here for a buddy. They have a ~16' Hewes that they use as the runabout for their place in the Gulf Islands.

He's pretty sure it doesn't have bottom paint on it. He's not positive as it's another partner in their place who always hauls the boat in and out....which is generally once a year as it stays in the water at Montague.

"If" the boat has never been painted with bottom paint can you do it at this stage? He wasn't sure as he'd heard conflicting reports that unless you do it new...it's likely not worth doing and better just to haul it out to clean any growth off it. He'd like to paint if it's not a bad idea but if it's a lost cause they'll just do their annual haul out and tend to cleaning then. They aren't there a ton so it does sit for a bulk of the winter without much movement but planning on trailering it back into the city soon to get things like new canvas done, service engine, new transducer etc.

Bottom line....5+ year old aluminum boat without paint, can he paint?

Thanks.

Absolutely he can paint.

Here is one of many threads from the Aluminum Alloy Boat forum

http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5906&p=49136&hilit=bottom+paint#p49136

Just search threads on there started by a member called Chaps. He is the alloy bottom painting guru :cool:. Guys from up here haul their rigs down to him in Washington because he is so good!

He posted a full photo tutorial with all the steps and suggested products etc. to follow. You could easily have it down locally. Good luck to your friend and his project.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Any suggestions on local(Vancouver) places that do bottom painting? Thinking about getting it done on aluminum cc.

Lots of discussion about painting/protecting sharkhide on the Hewescraft owners forum, where they can give their option. We painted a 1967 Starcraft Aluminum a couple times and it turned out well, but I can't remember the brand we used. I bought a Hewescraft so I wouldn't have to paint, bottom paint gets chipped hitting the dock, loading on the tailer, gaffing Hali after a couple beer (if that's even a word).

http://www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html

I think there was a painted 27 foot Aluminum at the Vancouver Boat show made by a local manufacturer for $200k, if anyone remembers the manufacturer they could likely steer you in the right direction.

The boat can definitely still be painted, the surface would just need to be prepped first.
If they are planning on painting themselves they will need to do some research into what paint they want to use, as certain products are copper-based so you would want to avoid those.
Also, if he is wanting an antifouling bottom paint he will have to make sure the epoxy barrier is applied first.

Back