Painting aluminum boat

capt hook

Has anyone experience and success with painting a aluminum hull?
it s a 24 ft. alum , 1/4 in plate , only 1 1/2 yr old...
I,m assuming it needs to be fully sanded and then etched with some kind of very good primer? what primer?
then a top coat of??
Does anyone know who can do this? prefer lower mainland.
Thanks
CH

We used a Interlux Trilux as a finishing coat at work, but applied Interlux Primocon metal primer 1st to protect against galvanic corrosion. The Trilux was applied as multiple coats which will peel off as you cruise at high speed to remove the growth that formed when vessel is left in the water for extended periods. The Trilux can be re-applied annually after power washing, scrapping, and sanding.
One trick is after applying your Primocon to use painter tape and cover 1/4" to 1/2" of the top edge of the Primocon all around the hull. This is to prevent the Trilux (finishing coat) from contacting the aluminum directly as it will etch it( eat the aluminum).

Important, you must use a respirator with an appropriate filters in a well ventilated area!! The fumes from these products are dangerous.

To prevent removing the Primocon and Trilux finish when repeatedly taking your vessel out of the water just hose off your hull lightly. Power washing will remove the layers of Trilux and reduce protection from the marine organism.

Just bottom painting

i,m going to need to do both , top and bottom.
the boat has been on trailer , but i will be leaving in salt water.
Number one is to get a good bottom paint on and a two inch boot toping strip.....
i may stop at that for a while...or if it is not to $$$$ then maybe do the hull.
I,m not going to do the work myself , so need a good painter that knows what he is doing.
thanks for all the info so far guys.
CH

Back