Ordering Parts Online

Make sure you have exact part #'s when purchasing out of the US; outboard manufacturers change part #'s every few years; especially Yamaha; then they delist the old style and slightly change the new, meaning you may get a part from one of the US part stores that has the same part number but there maybe an "H" or "Y" on the new style that won't work with your outboard due to age. I purchased some parts a few years ago out of Florida from one of the larger online sites, talked to a local mechanic that warned me of making sure new will fit on old; called the shipper and they said "no problem parts will work"; received them; mounting areas had been changed and other parts just were wrong. Called shipper; they said "send them back and we will send the right ones"; well lets put it this way; I was out the shipping both ways; the exchange rate over the shipping period; and Never did get the right parts; so out of pocket for shipping and the BS. It says alot about getting parts locally; you may think you are saving money; but if your brand has a policy of changing things related to models every 3-5 years; you may end up spending more.

Do your research; even if you place an order and find out before it ships the parts will not fit; they have a habit of processing your CC as soon as order is placed; if you cancel your order you will be out any exchange there is and they will charge you a restocking fee.

Good Luck; but check locally or talk to the used outboard parts guys out there; they are usually pretty good at finding you what you need and can even give you the cross reference part #'s if they have been changed by the manufacturer.

iBoats.com. Dealt with them for years. Make sure you order the correct part and you will receive it.

The good thing about iboats is they give you a price upfront that includes ALL costs including shipping, taxes, duties etc. I've purchased props, electronics, gauges etc from them. They also sell engine parts.

Cheers

iBoats.com. Dealt with them for years. Make sure you order the correct part and you will receive it.

The good thing about iboats is they give you a price upfront that includes ALL costs including shipping, taxes, duties etc. I've purchased props, electronics, gauges etc from them. They also sell engine parts.

Cheers

X2
I bought gauges from them, saved 1/3 off the cost of the exact same gauges here!
That included taxes, shipping and the differnce in the $, although it was almost par at the time!

Here is a good rule of thumb. When you find a site for anything you are looking for....do a search for reviews of that business. Pissed off people and really happy people often post there thoughts on line.

While not a frequent buyer from iBoats.com, I did just purchase a $12 item from them which was shipped to my door for a total cost of $40 after shipping taxes and duty. I'm not one to want to call/drive around town for the cheapest price (couldn't even find the part locally actually) so spending the few extra dollars for the convenience was worth it. Arrived at my door in 1 week.

I'll be buying a VHF from them soon and will comment on this thread if my experience with them changes.

...also bought from iBoats.com - good price and service.

I"ve been rebuildind our 22' Double Eagle for about a year. New gas tank, floors, transom etc getting close. We bought a lot of hardware, electrical,bearings for the trailer wheels etc from online retailers. Saved at least a third in price on many items. Got tired of going into the Wholesaler being told I have to go down the street to the retailer and let everyone fleece you in the process. Bottom line if the price was even close I would by local but did not find that to be the case very often. Dealt with a lot of different online stores and had no problems with any of them.

non engine related parts, check out:

anchorexpress.com

they only ship to US but if you have means to do so the savings are pretty ridiculous. I'm about to put a big order through for all my electrical components (panels, ACRs ect) and hydraulic steering (Uflex for $685!!).

-FB- aka Deal Hunter lol

....just did a check, iboats doesn't even have half the stuff I'm looking for. Of what they did, anchorexpress beats iboats by about 15-20%

Last edited by a moderator:
Rope at anchoring.com is really cheap, 300' 1/2 inch braided for $99 in Blaine, here cheapest I found was $229 . Like to shop local as much as I can but not when I have to pay double. They have lots of great deals and are on line as well.

Boats.net and Go2marine.com are both good. Go2marine had my parts to my us shipping addy the next day!

My new electric winch arrived yesterday at my door...
saved approx $100 on the winch and no tax !
the key is to shop for the best freight/import rate.
some of the online vendors wanted close to $90 for freight, I paid $15

Not to mention huge differences between US destinations and Canadian ones. Or the nasty surprise COD brokerage bill. Look carefully at the policies before you click the Confirm button. I'm close enough to the border for that to be worth considering, easy to have it sent to US receiver and pick it up myself.

From my experience, you want to pay the vendor for freight and customs which they add to the total cost.
If you order via your own transport, be prepared to pay more freight and all applicable customs and duty
charges.

locally try marinemanifold.com they source from everywhere.
if your looking for Yammy parts, the absolute best service I have had was from Andy at simyamaha.com they're east coast but ship faster then the local guys
and very helpful over the phone as well, I even had them make new Hyd steering hoses for my seastar system when I added the pilot

From my experience, you want to pay the vendor for freight and customs which they add to the total cost.
If you order via your own transport, be prepared to pay more freight and all applicable customs and duty
charges.

Delicate planning required. I have the documentation ready, keep it under $300 and don't bring booze or tobacco across, the border guys usually wave me through. Maybe 1 trip in 5 I am asked to pay taxes (which I would have paid in BC anyway). I don't use the US method every time, I do check pricing and timeline with my local marina first and sometimes it's not worth the trip south.

I just ordered some parts from Great Lakes Skipper, they seem to have a good stock of OEM surplus parts - good service on the phone (shipping was not cheap). Will report back once received with the results. I have also ordered trailer parts from Eastern Marine with good results and would recommend them.

Back