Offshore Barkley - black cod, pacific cod, etc...

Finally

Our group has been enjoying the waters around Bamfield for 5 years now and every year we aim to try new spots and species. We have done well for salmon, halibut, lings, black rockfish/yellowtail and cabezon.

This year we were hoping to try new areas offshore for pacific cod or even deep water species such as black cod, shortrakers etc...

Has anyone consistency found these bottom fish offshore Barkley? We have run into schools of pacific cod out at Swiftsure/Offshore Rupert but have yet to get anything offshore Barkley aside from skates/halibut/lings.

Tight lines!
Finally

I think I read it here awhile back that someone was catching Black Cod at the rats nose offshore Barkley sound.

I think I read it here awhile back that someone was catching Black Cod at the rats nose offshore Barkley sound.
i dont think they are true black cod.. p-cod for sure. some big ones once in a while for sure.

go out a bit further for some albacore!

Last edited:
I met troller and tackle maker Ernie Ross in the Langley Steveston Hardware once about 10 years ago. Nice guy, who seemed to enjoy chatting. He told me of doing charters off his troller and catching halibut and black cod around the corner and farther out in some deeper holes from Rat's Nose. Similar to Kelly's post. Funny how I can remember that but not some birthdays and names.
A pile of 2-3 lb black cod were pissing some hali fishers off at Rat's Nose on August 12 or 13, 2020 according to a guide I spoke to at the fuel dock.

We landed some black cod off the rats nose this past summer. They were up feeding on the krill in 200ft. As soon as they hit the deck, they puked up a **** ton of krill everywhere. Quite a mess.

They can be nothing short of pesky at times but great eating. The trawler fleet does really well off the Nose.

Back