Nymphing Fly Fishing Only Rivers

Clintaceous

Hey everyone,

When using nymphs or egg patterns, how do you guys get your flies in the strike zone without indicators or split shot?

weighted, thin bodied nymphs are the ticket. think bead heads and lead wrapped ties with low profile bodies, combined with casting upstream of where you think the fish are to give it time to sink into the strike zone.

as far as I know, this is the best anyone can do.

Hey everyone,

When using nymphs or egg patterns, how do you guys get your flies in the strike zone without indicators or split shot?
Totally depends on depth and speed of water.
Bead heads, weighted flies, sink tip lines.
There is nothing wrong with split shot and indicators for deeper water. If you fish without an indicator it is difficult to keep your line tight enough to feel the take without affecting your drift.
Hey everyone,

Totally depends on depth and speed of water.
Bead heads, weighted flies, sink tip lines.
There is nothing wrong with split shot and indicators for deeper water. If you fish without an indicator it is difficult to keep your line tight enough to feel the take without affecting your drift.
Except that in Flyfishing Only waters.... split shot and Indicator are prohibited......

CR Greg

I would use split shot and an indicator if I could, and I do when its legal. But like Greg said, you can't in fly fishing only waters, which is why I'm asking this question.

Weighted nymphs is what I was thinking, but in my mind it seems almost impossible if you want to use nymphs size 16 and smaller. Egg patters that use yarn are also difficult it seems as they seem quite bouyant. Tungsten beads would definitely help, but I try not to use beads simply for aesthetics. No doubt they catch fish, but I try to keep my presentations as natural as I can.

Does anyone know if they made a tungsten foil or wrap? I'm thinking that might do the trick. So might tungsten putty tied onto the fly. Anyone try that before?

When you tie different weighted flies (lead wraps) make sure to separate them in your fly box so you know which fly to use for different water conditions.

Have you tried a length of T15 looped to the end of your line? Some of my buddies do this when trying to get down in deeper or fast water.
I only tried this once, in the Campbell River fly fishing for pinks.
I normally just use my type 6 sink tip with bead headed flies when fishing for cutthroat.

The two options are heavy sink tips or sparse heavy singe flies that are essentially mini jigs.

Unfortunately bc is in the Stone Age in so many regards when it comes to angling in most other parts of the world you would stack 2 or 3 flies with the bottom being an anchor or especially heavy tie.

I personally use tungsten bead in 7/32mm size 10 hook on 6# tippet to get it down fast and have success. As the water comes up it gets harder to find the riffles that I can reach the bottom.

Attachments

• 3AD4B4CD-92DD-4798-8919-40679BA0E404.jpeg
    3AD4B4CD-92DD-4798-8919-40679BA0E404.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 32
When you tie different weighted flies (lead wraps) make sure to separate them in your fly box so you know which fly to use for different water conditions.
many folks using different color tying thread to differentiate the amount of weight applied. So black may be unweighted, Gray lightly weighted, and red heavy. Beads on the fly are popular. The size of the bead and what it is made of (brass vs tungten, which is heavier than brass) can adjust the weight. There are also tungsten nymph bodies that can be added directly to the hook shank when tying a nymph and really adds weight. Also use a long length of thin tippet. Check out some of the info on the various Euro nymphing websites. As competition fly angling doesn't allow the use of weight on the leader there has been some interesting approaches developed on the competition circuit.

Tungsten beads on pheasant tails or egg patterns for heavier water. Full floating line, preferably a 'indicator' line. Vary the leader/tippet lengths.

Pretty much what is mentioned by others, tungsten 7/32, 7/64 beads depending on hook size, sink tip, weighted flies, #12 barrel swivel between leader and fluorocarbon tippet as another option. Has worked in the past for me.

Wow, these are some great tips! Thanks guys! I think I need to order some tungsten beads. If I can get away will floating line I will, next best thing to an indicator. Also will help with getting good dead drifts I think.

With sink tips, are you casting upstream, at an angle, across?

Check out YouTube for Czech nymphing techniques. Lots of good info on short lining your presentation. Often your fly line doesn’t even get past your tip guide on your rod. Multicoloured leaders become your strike indicator. I’ve played around with it a few times and it actually works. Unfortunately not quite as well for me as it does for others I’ve fished with.

Back