Nootka crowds?

tubber

Been researching Nootka and planning a trip for Aug 6-9. Never been there but would like to give it a shot. Very small whaler, top speed 22mph, not planning on fishing outside. Crowded conditions at the popular inside spots is a common theme. Would anyone like to compare the crowds to Malcolm, Otter or Secretary on a busy day? I'll be fishing alone so trying to fish close to the beach, steer, set/clear gear, and play fish can be a gong show if there is heavy traffic.

Well it certainly is crowded! and is similar to otter or secretary, but not worse.
Best part is that you can easily find spots away from the crowds and catch fish. There are so many fish traveling through the inlet that fish can be caught anywhere along many many miles of shoreline and even out in the middle.
I hate fishing in a crowd as well (lost what probably was our best fish first night out in someone else's downrigger) so we started fishing away from the worst crowds (ie, Camel Rock) and still caught our limits both trips in two days.
Have fun and enjoy the experience!

There are clueless folks, just like anywhere else if you fish the crowds. Last years at Hoiss, we had a 28' yacht bearing down on us with no one at the helm. They had a fish on turned out and left the wheel with the boat in motion! Just be watchful of boats on your outside if you are up against the rocks, you should be OK. I like the idea of fishing away from the crowds myself. We too have caught several fish where there was no one else fishing.

It is busy!! Too bad you couldn't find someone to go up with you! You can do it alone, there is alot of spots where you can get away from the crowds. Just keep your head up as we found some people have there course set and won't move at all for ya! Good Luck and Have Fun!!! You staying at Cougar Creek Campsite?

Mike

Its not that bad there are many places you can head to get away from the crowd, or even if there is a crowd just fish the outside of them and you'll still do quite well and not have any problems getting cut off, etc. Its a big sound you'll be alright!

Thanks everyone. I often try to fish away from the crowds, but tend to get pulled in, especially if I don't know the area. Yes, Oguard, I'll try to get in at Cougar Creek. Would it be foolish to even try there on the Sunday of a long weekend? My plan was to wait till Tuesday, but when my wife gave me the go ahead to leave early, I had to jump at it.

I would give it a go.Dick will find you somwhere to camp He has some parking spots he will put you in until he can find you a site if need be.Good luck:D:D

Mike

I got a spot at Moutcha Bay. Be there Sunday to Thursday. If any board members want to say hello, I'm the guy in the 11 foot whaler with a Honda on the back. Thanks for all the help.

Mornin Tubber, I'll be fishing inside Tuesday and Wed. We'll be in a red 21' Custom Weld Storm called "Sandyman".

Luck to you, -Darrel

Back