New Tech in Hatcheries?

Does anyone have examples of new ideas, or improvements being made to existing enhancement practices?

We found using rigid tubes to hold fish allowed for retention of brood stock in places previously impossible in the field, but also improved handling ease at the hatchery.

Thornton Creek: A Small Community Hatchery With Big Goals

Welcome back James
Thanks!

It's nice to be back.

It's nice to be back doing what I love, and having meaningful discussions that elevate our understanding of the issues at hand.

As some of you may know, I also spent some time in aquaculture...

But sitting in the corner office means nothing if you just watch your friends go fishing every day.

Attachments

• Disco Fishpit.JPG
    Disco Fishpit.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 52
  • King Salmon .JPG
    King Salmon .JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 50
  • King Salmon Dockboy.JPG
    King Salmon Dockboy.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Langara Hali.JPG
    Langara Hali.JPG
    226.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Marabell Hakai.JPG
    Marabell Hakai.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 50
  • UGLH8738.JPG
    UGLH8738.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 52
Does anyone have examples of new ideas, or improvements being made to existing enhancement practices?

We found using rigid tubes to hold fish allowed for retention of brood stock in places previously impossible in the field, but also improved handling ease at the hatchery.

Thornton Creek: A Small Community Hatchery With Big Goals
Have you tried the flexible black canvas tubes with the zippers? We started with rigid tubes with screw in ends but moved to the flexible ones once we were introduced and never went back. I could put three or four in my backpack when going into the field to collect broodstock. No hassle with getting tangled on stream stuff. The zipper makes it Easy to get the fish in and out of. Gentle on the fish; no scale loss. Only problem was if a bear found it. How do hou get your broodstock in and out of those rigid tubes?

Have you tried the flexible black canvas tubes with the zippers? We started with rigid tubes with screw in ends but moved to the flexible ones once we were introduced and never went back. I could put three or four in my backpack when going into the field to collect broodstock. No hassle with getting tangled on stream stuff. The zipper makes it Easy to get the fish in and out of. Gentle on the fish; no scale loss. Only problem was if a bear found it. How do hou get your broodstock in and out of those rigid tubes?
Coho are easier than Chinook - smaller, lighter - smaller diameter PVC tubes can be used. Often Chinook tubes have to be custom built - often from aluminum. I've used the zipper ones before - they are good for short transfers - as you were saying - through bush or up steep banks.

Choices depends upon ones logistical realities - like whether or not there is truck/road or boat access. Like whether or not there are bears around to find the tubes - or if rain is forecast if one chooses to simply tie off the tubes instream with the green broodstock inside and plan to come back in a few days and check ripeness - and how many fish are in the system, as well.

With "at risk" and small breeding populations - nobody wants to loose any fish - so often these broodstock takes are rarer and plans are made to immediately transfer any green fish in tubes back into tanks - hopefully only a short distance away. So, some way of aerating fish needs to be thought out and provided for if that is the case.

Later in the run - one can expect to find fully ripe fish and simply do a streamside eggs and milt take - and bring only the eggs and milt back into the hatchery and fertilize the eggs there. Much easier logistics there only moving eggs and milt.

Last edited:

This is a smaller Chum tube I made using PVC pipe, aluminum angle, and stainless hardware.

The original design I saw was from Tofino, and I made some changes.

They aren't light, and the larger diameter Chinook versions are definitely a chore to pack down - but they are secure.

The hinged bottom allows you to place a fish headfirst, and then the loop end of the line is tied in to a shore line with a cannonball.

You can pigtail 3 or 4 in the current with the carabiners, but you need raft or swimmer to do it of course.

All the inside surfaces are sanded smooth, so no significant scale loss.

Fish can hold for extended periods, we have retrieved them after high water events without issue.

We also use them in Cap Troughs for holding select brood - no racing up and down.

Hoping this is the type of information people find useful - thanks for asking.

IMG_4824.jpgIMG_4825.jpg

Nice tube. Stainless parts, even. What's the costs for that design? $200/ea?

Interesting that you need tubes for chum. Typically, almost all the does are already or almost ripe whenever I have done chum broodstock - verses say Chinook or coho. Is there a problem with access/water flow in the systems you do broodstock in?

I have deleted the posts that were off topic, inflammatory, or personal in nature. Any future posts that involve this type of content will be removed immediately and bans may follow. If you want to call each other names or point out other someone else's flaws, find a different forum to post in.

Brian

Has anyone had experience using RFID scanners?

Very specific questions can be asked using these tags - Like where you're going to put the right sized fish at the right time.
Very simple to use. Turn on the unit. Hold the scan button. Wave it like a magic wand over the fish and if a tag is present it will record the tag ID. Happy to answer questions if you've got them. But they are pretty much point-and-shoot simple.

Back