New Smoker

IronNoggin

Finally the weather has cooperated enough to allow me to work on setting up the new smoker.
400 POUNDS of Very Well Insulated Stainless Steel! Good thing it's on wheels!

Smoker_1.jpg

Smoker_2.jpg

Intake:

Smoker_Intake.jpg

Chimney:

Smoker_Chimney.jpg

Handled her maiden run of seven 7.5 pound sausages like a Dream! :D
Huge Capacity and Pretty Much Bulletproof!
This one is a Cadillac IMHO!

Will be hooking up the external hotbox for cold smoking tuna when that season rolls around...

Now looking into a smoker thermostat to wire in for Plug and Play Hands Nearly Free operations...

Cheers,
Nog

Nog Very nice unit and very jealous, can only imagine how good those sausage taste
if you want hands free look into the Auber instruments PID controller
very easy too use, it will monitor cabinet temp and pretty much control temp swings within a degree or two, it will monitor the product IT at the same time
and shut your sausages down at your predetermined temp, I have mine set for 153-155 depending
you can preprogram it to ramp up the temps so for instance you can have it start off at 100* for an hour to dry the casings, then bump up to 120 for an hour
then bump to 170 for whatever time you want or until it hits a certain IT,
very cool toy and not a huge investment, and easy to use, set it and go fishing
Tim
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_28

That looks EXACTLY like what I am looking for! Big Time THANKS!

BTW, which model of PID are you using?

Wondering...
Nog

I use the dual probe for the Bradley, but you can call him, his name slips me now, very nice fellow tho and he will tell you whats best for your set-up
but I would think the 1800w dual probe model should do the job just fine, are you just using a hot plate for a burner or ???
check the wattage on it to be sure, you have choice of sensors as well, I went with the wall mount, simple install drill a hole in back wall and insert, beteer then the hanging modle as the tend to get banged around and damaged pulling stuff in and out.
also order a couple extra of the IT sensors they tend to corrode at the probe end from smoke and juices then not work when you least expect so I keep a couple extras on hand now-live and learn
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome Tim! Thanks Buddy, Very Much Appreciated! ;)
Will get ahold of the fellow upon my return from the Briney... Shoving off for a month or two tomorrow...

Cheers!
Nog

Nog, what are the door seals made of? My smoker is a converted industrial ss fridge and I completely demolished the seals doing pork shoulders. Going to strip them out and just use wood I guess???

I definitely like the damper system, sure beats my current system of stuffing a ball of aluminum foil in to adjust flow.

Man I gotta get over to stuffers and load up on some supplies. Smoked some chorizo, serranos and a mess of prawns last night though :)

GnB how were the prawns? Would love to hear how you do them, hot or cold brine or no?

I sorta followed this, although the cooking time was way longer :
http://howto.gd/h_223_how-to-cook-hot-smoked-prawns.html

image.jpg

I likely made way too many. Had a bunch of kids over so peeled a bunch and made smoked prawn Mac and cheese. These were what was left over, I peeled these, vac bagged and froze....not sure how they will fare, but I'll do something with them. I would suggest you don't smoke more than your going to use that night as they were softer this morning. Oh ya they were fresh caught yesterday also.

Gear I used the marine door seal on my smoker works just fine 1/2 thick one side it is adhesive tape the other a denser foam..
hope that helps

Wolf

I sorta followed this, although the cooking time was way longer :
http://howto.gd/h_223_how-to-cook-hot-smoked-prawns.html

View attachment 11351

I likely made way too many. Had a bunch of kids over so peeled a bunch and made smoked prawn Mac and cheese. These were what was left over, I peeled these, vac bagged and froze....not sure how they will fare, but I'll do something with them. I would suggest you don't smoke more than your going to use that night as they were softer this morning. Oh ya they were fresh caught yesterday also.
mmm smoked prawn Tacos...;)

Nog, what are the door seals made of? My smoker is a converted industrial ss fridge and I completely demolished the seals doing pork shoulders. Going to strip them out and just use wood I guess???

I was ever so careful to preserve the original seals. They are rated for rather high heat, and do the job well (thus far). I'd suggest that Roy's (Wolf) idea of the self-adhesive marine door seal would work well, and have already picked some of that up to fill in the odd little leak around the door seals.

I definitely like the damper system, sure beats my current system of stuffing a ball of aluminum foil in to adjust flow.

LOL! For years all I've done was the aluminum foil trick. Got a little tired of that. So, as I was cutting the holes through the stainless (a miserable task btw!) I decided to save the little disks that created. Used the dremel to size them to the internal diameter of the aluminum pipes, burned a couple holes through them, and cut down a couple of ancient stainless skewers to operate them with. A little J-B weld, and walla! No more tinfoil! Very much worth the effort IMHO.

Just sent an Email to the folks at Auberins. Hope they can get that controller to me quickly! Guess while I'm at it I'll source around for a heavier duty (preferably stainless) hotplate to replace the ancient one that is likely over-due for replacement.

Back-up of more sausage to get finished, and a hell of a run of sockeye on the way. Strongly suspect this Gal will be seeing a LOT of use over the next while... :D

Cheers,
Nog

Beauty of a smoker ! Wow. Nice work. So that's what your doing with all them Needlefish caught fish

Way to go Nog

Beauty of a smoker ! Wow. Nice work. So that's what your doing with all them Needlefish caught fish...

LOL! Actually we sold them all ;)
Prices were too high to even consider bringing any home.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the smoker, methinks she very much is a Beauty alright!

As for the needlefish spoon - Stay Tuned! We'll have some Great News about that little project coming down the pipe right shortly now... :D

Cheers,
Nog

Back