New MNSF information

high tide

Hello everyone,
recently over the last number of months myself and many others, lots of you from the island received a bill from Thunder Bay Airport services for what is called a Marine Navigation Services Fee. This was implemented back in 1998 through DFO and is mandated that user's of becons, buoys, channel markers, light houses etc. etc. have to pay to have these items to be serviced. Makes sense but it should be for every one including the public .... but that is a new kettle of fish ... any way. I like many of you received a bill to pay $200.00 annually for this ..... Outrageous ! I did a ton of digging, lots of phone calls, e mails, answering machines .... and every thing else you can expect to go through when dealing not only with DFO but TPC also.
That said, what it come down to is DFO and TPC were not working with each other to get clarification on Vessel type. So mistakes were made, with the registering person, TPC and DFO.

An example : When registering your boat, the sheet did not have a box specific to Charter operators. It was very limited. So, many of us got reg. as Fishing Vessels. That fee from DFO is the $200.00 charge which is incorrect.

If you look at the DFO site, and look up MNSF a Charter falls under what DFO calls Fleet Rental Boat, which is $25.00 per year. And Thunder Bay Airport Services is the collector of said fees.
I informed DFO and TPC that I first thought it was a scam bill and even tore it up not knowing a thing about it. Then I have received invoices saying PAST DUE with interest charges on top of the $200.00 fee, don't forget also HST is added ta-boot.
So after all the BS has been done, TPC are now trying to get DFO to fall inline with this. I re-registered and now have the lower fee. This should come as no charge to any of us, so don't let them try to charge you for re-registration, unfortunately the MNSF for the $25 bucks is legit for vessels under 15 GT.

Here is some contact info for you to re-register.
marie-josee.leduc@tc.gc.ca ........ Marie was great to deal with.

I hope this helps to clear up all the MNSF Bull Crap.

Yet again though, as far as I am concerned, we are the safest out there and are less likely to need the help of CCG compared to the General Public ........but living with a 25 dollar fee is allot easier then 200 annually.

HT

Last edited by a moderator:
DFO is dead set on the 224 fee. I and a few others have done alot of back and forth with ship registry and DFO. Brutal! TC does not recognize the fleet rental designation, and DFO is set on if you have a C number, you pay the set 224 fee, river raft or not. Unreel pile of BS.

Marie Josie had no idea about the 25 doller fee, claimed there is no way of changing anything! As did the Chief Registar. Ive jumped all the hoops, got nada. Next step is to get a BC number and say fjahdf;iu it!

Boy what a bunch of PRICKS that are giving you the run around !

OK, you need a Form called a Fleet Adjustment Sheet, From either C.C. Guard or Thunder Bay Airport Services, or PM me and give me your e mail and I will send you a copy of it.

Another flippin CASH GRAB !

HT

Back