New Here....Need Help

gpspowell

After being introduced the the PNW by hauling our boat from Colorado to Neah Bay last year, my wife & I are planning our first-ever trip to Barkley Sound Aug/Sept 2007. We have lots of questions but two are pressing me right now. First, how can I get ahold of berth reservations in Bamfield? Or barring that, Ucluelet? Second, I got the following caution on a BC travel board:

"Just be sure that your trailer is legal to carry a boat that size *IN CANADA*
If not the famous *Parksville Trailer ***** may find you and it'll be costly-I am Dead Serious!!!"

I'm pulling a 2006 Bayliner 242 Classic Cruiser behind a Ford Diesel Dually. Can anyone shed light on either of these issues? I tried the BC Ministry of Transportation and it seems a trailer not greater than 8'6" or taller than 13'6" should be legal (I'm 8'6" X 12'7").

Thanks in advance, Mike

Hey

If your coming from across the straight why bother with the truck? Just head over in the boat.Isn't neahj bay just across the straight? Start by searching the forums for bamfield etc. You'll turn up lots

you legal. ive seen people tow there boat and the top of the boat is 15+ feet above the ground.

Legal towing width & height is one thing but trailer GVWR is another. As long as total load is equivilent to or under the trailers tagged rated weight capacity you are OK. My trailer is 8ft 6inches but my boat is 10 ft at the beam & have never had any problems. an over width permit is around 12 bucks I think in BC. I'm also about 12ft 6 inches in height & have never had any clearance problems. I've towed thru Parksville this yr twice & have never met the dreaded trailer ****.....yet!

It will cost you much less in fuel to boat across from Neah Bay than to pay for the ferry and drive to Bamfield. But you have to run to Ucluelet for customs.

Thanks guys. As for launching at Neah Bay: Having never been to Vancouver Island, we're kind of looking forward to visiting Victoria and the drive to Port Alberni (where we intend to launch). Also there's the issue of Customs. Coming back we'd find ourselves needing to boat from Bamfield to Port Angeles before touching land. Then Back to Neah Bay to rejoin the boat and trailer for the drive home. Now if I can just arrange berthing in Barkley Sound.

We fish there a lot.Launch in Port Alberni at Clutesi Haven Marina excellent ramp.Overflow parking avaiable at the atheletic hall.Short walk back.As anywhere dont leave valuables in truck. FOLLOW SOMEONE OUT DOWN RIVER ITS SHALLOW AT LOW TIDE.ALSO BE AWARE OF LOGS BETWEEN PILINGS AT PULP MILL.Be careful going down to Bamfield sometimes a few deadheads around.We stay at seabeam lodge shall we say very rustic.I would fish on the inside till you learn area.Outside is not really for beginners.Get charts and a good GPS YOU CAN GET LOST IN A HURRY.Try Seabeam lodge web site. DAN

Back