New Date For Victoria Herring Sale

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting.

Fixed...:)

http://www.fishermenhelpingkidswithcancer.com/#!herring-sale/c1vvb

*The herring sale in Victoria will be held at FAS Seafoods in downtown Victoria.
DATE: Saturday, December 6, 2014

TIME: 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

ADDRESS: FAS Seafoods , 27 Erie Street, Victoria, BC

======================

The herring sale in Steveston will be held at the Steveston Harbour Authority.

DATE: Saturday, December 6, 2014

TIME: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

ADDRESS: 12740 Trites Road, Richmond, B.C.

Any tips for freezing them for halibut bait?

I know this might be a little late at this point...but I just use a foodsaver vacuum sealer and it seems to work well. One guy I know saves his meat packing trays throughout the year, and apparently that works well to place the herring on, before vacuum sealing. The other idea I had is to first brine the herring, and put them into a ziplock bag, brine and all, making sure there is no air left, then freezing them. Some of the commercial guys do this with their fish and prawns, and it seems to work quite well. Just a couple thoughts...

-Dan

Thanks Dan. I ended up wet brining overnight then using a dry shake and bake procedure the next day with salt and baking soda.
Thought of the food tray idea, but never found a sources and hadn't thought ahead enough to save some.
Ended up laying the dry brined herring out flat in zip locks, so will see how that works.
As an aside when I picked up the herring they offered to freeze them for an extra dollar a pound.

Back