New $9-million vessel will transport farmed fish, and the owner isn’t apologizing

SerengetiGuide

See all his "Joye" boats at the wharf. Has two now that service the fish farm industry exclusively. About 6-8 other boats he uses for commercial fishing purposes. Needless to say he is most likely very well off.

Port Hardy’s James Walkus is not apologetic about his big new $9-million transporter boat being involved in the fish farming industry.

“I believe it needs to be,” said Walkus, 75, of fish farming. “Our wild fishery won’t support the supply and demand.

“I’m a commercial fisherman as well and probably one of the biggest independent commercial fisherman in B.C.,” he said.

“It (fish farming) keeps us busy during the winter and employs a lot of people in Port Hardy, where I live.”

Critics of fish farming say the process despoils the ocean beds below the pens where the farm fish are kept and that the problem of sea lice on wild fish is heightened by the pens’ proximity to those wild fish.

Walkus sees it differently.

“There are more and more people around that are eating farmed fish, including myself,” he said.

Walkus doesn’t think closed containment fish farming, with ponds or tanks on shore, would be economically viable.

But groups such as the Living Oceans Society, which would like to see an end to conventional fish farming, disagree.

“We appreciate that jobs are scarce and economic development opportunities for First Nations are hard won,” said Karen Wristen, executive director of the society.

“That’s why we’re so excited about Namgis First Nation’s venture into closed containment salmon farming,” Wristen said in an email. “The initial results for them are very promising; they were able to bring their pilot project to market at market prices and they’ve got a willing buyer in Safeway for every fish they can produce.

“They’re creating jobs, protecting the environment and building a future for the Nation’s youth,” she said

“We hope that it will serve as a model for other First Nations who want to protect their heritage.”

Jeremy Dunn, executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association, said there are a lot of myths out there about the $800-million industry.

“Farmed salmon is raised naturally,” Dunn said. “That means no hormones or genetic modification to enhance growth.”

Dunn said the industry is responsible for 6,000 jobs and provides the only source of year-round fresh salmon.

In the meantime, the family-owned James Walkus Fishing Company will respond to the current needs of the industry.

Walkus said his new vessel, which was built in North Vancouver by Richmond company ABD, is 32 metres long and about 10 metres wide. It has four Caterpillar diesel engines, with the main engine rated at 1,000 horsepower.

The Amarissa Joye, named after Walkus’ granddaughters Amanda and Larissa, had its first sea trials last week in Indian Arm and will go out for more trials this week. If everything goes as planned, the boat will be in service in November.

Walkus might even be working on the Amarissa Joy.

“I plan to fish until I’m 85, if it’s possible,” he said Sunday while on the way to do some commercial fishing. “I just feel good and I enjoy it, and maybe I’ll do it even longer if I feel good.”

When it does start working, the Amarissa Joye will be able to carry as much as 272,000 kilograms of farm fish in cold water tanks to Port Hardy for preparation after trips of from two to 12 hours — depending on where the farm is located

“That’s why we’re so excited about Namgis First Nation’s venture into closed containment salmon farming,”

Only thing worth reading except from the rubbish this article spews out.

75 eh. Cant he just die already.
Really? Surely you must be just joking. If not, you really need to re-evaluate your morals, dude. I mean, I get that he is both a commie and a farm supporter, but to wish him dead? :confused:

No kidding I expected retire not dead.

James Walkus has always been a well-respected, highly successful, business man, commercial fisherman, and SD Adventist leader. His entrepreneurship and independence makes him a roll model for first nations people and has benefited many. His continued involvement with this industry is a misguided head scratcher that tarnishes an impressive legacy in my opinion.

Back