New 15 HP Yamaha High Thrust?

profisher

My mechanic is down in Mexico for a couple of months so I thought I would throw this question out to anyone in the know. I have a 2007 9.9 (Big Block/15 hp) Yamaha high thrust which I bought in the spring of 2008. So I now have 4 seasons on it, which is 2 more than I have ever put on my kickers. Prior to this one I always sold my Yamaha 9.9s after the 2nd season with one year of warranty remaining for who ever bought it. When this engine was discontinued and the 8hp stroked became the new 9.9 I decided I would keep this engine as long as I could, even rebuilding it once it got tired. It isn't tired yet. I was down at SG Power today and they had the new 15 HP reg long shaft on the rack. It got me thinking. If I'm going to spend say $3500 for a kicker anyway and my choices were either a stroked out 8/9.9hp or buy the new 15hp without the high thrust or another option. Could I remove the entire power head of the new 15hp and swap it directly onto my 9.9 with the high thrust leg? They are the same motors. I would then have the motor I want and would get all 15 hp which I could use at times. I would then have the left over lower half of the new 15 to sell and recover some dough. I know the warranty issues involved...I don't care about that...I can afford to pay for repairs if I have to....I just want a great kicker. Anyone know if this will work?

My old 9'9pt which is the 15 power head went without fail until 2009. I believe I had it for about 8 seasons. I switched over to the 25 high trust this spring and I should have done it years ago. Quiet and lots thrust. It is a bit heavy compared to the 9'9 but I didn't have much choice. The new style 9'9 couldn't push my boat. I have a feeling that there may be something in the works for a little bigger than the 9'9. I bunch of guys that I know have made the same switch and they all are as impressed as I am. If the 25 is two heavy for your rig I would suggest that you are best to keep your 9'9 until that time comes that another option is available. It is very cheap rebuild if you start to get worried about it and you think it's time. If you find out that you can switch your 99pt lower unit to a 15 let me know. If you need parts for your 9'9 I have a couple of retired ones in my shop. The power trim units are like gold as it is the weak link in that particular engine. The new 9'9 power trim units seem to be bullet proof so far.

The weight of the 25 would be an issue...22 Seasport...so a bit of overkill for my application.

Rollie
Look down south for kickers I paid 1700.00 for a 9.9 high thrust long shaft in Washington state through a dealer I know. Beat anything on the island by half and there is transferable warranty. Just a thought

I'm in the same situation Rollie , I still have my 06 yam high thrust it runs but Its tired so tried a new 9.9 ( 8) hrs and it runs great but has way less power than my old one , I might sell the new one and rebuild the old one but not really sure what to do .

A 15 high thrust would be perfect .

Just a thought for you guys -- but you can get either a 15 or 20Hp high thrust Tohatsu for about $3K. Power tilt, electric start (also has a pull start for emergencies) with a 12Amp charger. The 15 and 20 Tohatsu's have the same power head and weight. They are the manufacturer of both the small Mercury and Nissan engines.

Not sure what the Yamaha 9.9 weighs but the short shaft without the power trim/tilt and tiller units weighs 106lbs -- so likely about 15-20lbs lighter than the Tohatsu at 138lbs (long shaft, electric trim).

I've had my Tohatsu 20Hp with the High Thrust prop for a year now and it's great -- zero issues thus far. My boat is quite the sail in high winds with the upper bridge and this engine has no problem turning the boat and can pretty well run it at maximum hull speed ~6kts.

http://tohatsuoutboards.com/Tohatsu-20-hp-outboard-MFS20CEFTL.html

Thanks for the input Tenmile but get back to us when it 6 or 7 years old with thousands of hard hours and still running. Yamaha kickers all the way for me. I might just have to put two 8hp 's on it like my American buds do.

i have a brand new 15 hp merc big foot for $ 2400 no tax if anyone's interested.

Not suggesting they are better NB, just offering an alternative given that Yamaha dropped a few products. Tohatsu's aren't new, they've been around for years -- lots of guys have lots of hours on them -- they were recommended to me by a user here. Great service from Sooke Marine on them as well...

I am in the same situation. I houred the hell out of my 9.9 and really beat on it. Ran like a top til i found another one non guided one in the last year of production of the big power head. Not likeing a new smaller unproved motor I bought the used one, it runs like a dream too, but have been wondering about a new one when the time comes. I like your thinking there Profisher. Make sure you post the results when you know if you can put the 15 on the old hi thrust leg. I found the old yami 9.9's to be absolutly bullet proof. Makes you wonder why you'd want to try to reinvent that wheel?

Yeh, don't do what I did and replace the old style 9.9 with the new souped up 6 hp yami. It's not the same. The new 15 is probably the same as the old 9.9 is my guess.

I think it will work I just have to talk to a buddy who can confirm it. The only beef I have with the 9.9 I have is that it weights the same as the 15 horse but I'm robbed of the extra 5 horses. This would fix that. I would get a new 0 hrs complete powerhead including electrics, starter, carbs etc etc and have it on the high thrust leg. Obviously no warranty but I think that is a small risk I could justify taking to get what you can't buy from a dealer. I'll let you guys know when I find out.

Well talked to Ken from SG Power, he told me that if the drive shaft parts numbers are the same for the 15 HP long shaft and the 9.9 longshaft then it should work. He also suggested buying the short shaft as those parts would be easier to sell to someone with a fresh water tinner. That would save a couple hundred bucks. Then he said you I should check to see if the starter from my 9.9 would fit the new 15hp. I could then order a short shaft manual start 15hp and save even more. Then just switch my starter, harness and solenoid over to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it works, you may be onto something. Wish I had just kept my old 9.9 and rebuilt it.

I'll try and get down to SG in the morning and have the parts guys do some digging.

hey profisher, that sounds like an awful lot of rigamarole you're setting yourself up for. Not to throw a fly into the ointment but have you considered going to a silver cowl cover instead of sticking with blue? Why go through heart surgery when you could take a perfectly good running Yammie, sell it for top-dollar, then go buy yourself a 15 Hp hi-thrust Honda?

Yes, they're a bit heavier and they're expensive but it sounds like you're more concerned with performance and reliability---Honda will not disappoint.

I boated for 20 years with Yamahas; I went through several T-8's and a T9.9---fantastic kickers, no doubt (although sometimes a bit touchy when cold-starting)

So why did I opt to sell my Yammie T9.9 and go with a Honda 9.9? Built in pull start, that's why. The lack of that option in a Yamaha always bothered me. I do a lot of remote boat camping and for me, having a built-in pull start seemed like a critical thing to have if I ever had battery issues in a bad place.

With Yamaha, you can indeed pull start if you have to but there's cowl removal and fiddling with fuses before you get to that point. That made me uncomfortable, especially with an Arima (the kicker sits way out on an extended stern sponson and you just can't get to it safely).

So I have 200 hours on the Honda T9.9---absolute flawless so far; starts first time every time. Major low-torque power and a big beefy alternator.

I had to buy new because the ex-long shafts with power tilt I wanted don't come up second hand very often. I picked it up for under 3K---best money I ever spent on an add-on for my boat.

I heard the 15 Hi-thrusts are just as good. Here's an info link---

http://marine.honda.com/Products/modeldetail/BF15

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get the T9.9 with a pull start. (special order) I agree it is a cool option, pull the cord and your gen set fires up, gotta like the hi V out put. I used to have a Honda and it couldnt handle the dye in the marine gas and made oil too fast. I am not sure, and havnt checked to see if Honda has corrected that problem in their kickers. I know my Yamaha kicker doesnt do it. My 08 out of the box new in 2011 with 97 hrs, on the other hand is another story. (have to try that as a thread)

Well bad news. If we were talking 2007 15Hp powerhead going onto a 2007 9.9 high thrust leg it would work. The new 2012 15 HP is a different engine all together. We compared the base gaskets from both engines and they are miles apart, so that option is out. Interestingly you can still buy a complete new 9.9 powerhead. They come in 2 parts, block with crank, rods, pistons etc and the head is separate. Block is $1400 the head is $1900.00. Not sure why the head is $500 more than the complete rotating assembly and block. That is $3400 then you still have to swap over your electrics, carb etc. Looks like I'll be buying what I need to rebuild the one I have.
Sharphooks, I've owned Honda's before but I like the original 9.9 and the big block 9.9 more than any of the Honda's I have owned.

Back