Mounting Electronics At Helm : Wellcraft Coastal

I'm hoping there is a Wellcraft Coastal owner here that could help.

Here is a picture of the dash - it is very tight.

wellcraft9.jpgwellcraft7.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to mount ... or even better some pics on your mount jobs.

I'm not a big fan of where the steering wheel is in relation to the flat part next to it.

What unit are you going with? That flat spot is a no brainer IMO and looks like a nice location in regards to everything else. A nice 8" or maybe even a 10" if it will fit?

I like mounting it on the roof way easy to see and doenst matter if people sit in the seat you can still see it and dont get glare being up high like that..setting up a boat is the best part

good luck wolf

Attachments

• 26 hourston bluewolf 3 007.jpg
    26 hourston bluewolf 3 007.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
I like the roof mount idea as well, easier to see from more areas on the boat, I have mine mounted on the port side dash facing the helm seat at a angle which is also nice , was set up by previous owner.

The area above and to the right of the steering wheel could hold an 8 inch unit. The steering wheel would obstruct a little bit of the screen - not a great design there. It would make for a clean install though. I'd have to cut a perminent hole which could be a con. If the unit were to break down I'd be out of a unit - could be hard to get back out of the hole. Another con to the 8 inch flush mounted is no one at the back could see. I guess I could solve that by putting another unit on a track on the stern.
Thanks for the inputs!
I like the unit mounted above also.

I used the "RAM" mount easy to get on and off

I would get a piece of StarBoard and mount it on the ceiling and mount everything on that. It would help thou if we knew what you were getting.

I really like that overhead setup wolf! I would be scared though about it popping off when slamming in big water but i guess proper installation would avoid that. Still visions of a 2000$ unit crashing down would haunt me.

Ive been is some pretty ****** stuff I use the medium sized one all it has done is move a bit now and then in REALLY rough other than that once its in it stays put very good system and best part its adjustable . wouldnt worry of it falling at all least of my worries... I worry more on catching fish.... LOL

Sorry to disagree, but, ergonomically, its easier to look down than look up. Your neck struggles being raised. Its natural for it to turn down. I would mount into the dash area somehow. Im in the process of doing the exact same thing on my boat. I had Industrial Plastics design cut a piece of black starboard to fit my 2 Garmin devices which I'm installing into my glove/storage box. I thought about it a long time and decided after research looking down works better.

Have you tried it??? I look with the eyes and my vision is still focused on incoming shiat coming at ya, dont knock it to you try it if you look ay my pic you can/and will understand...what im saying so ill say ill agree to disagee LOL LOL :)

the flat spot I use to have a wellcraft 23 WA same boat pretty much there is nothing more bigger than a pain taking your electronics off everytime you get outa your boat. I should have cut it into the dash and secure it to dash with a locking latch like I have done to my new boat . Its so much better having hit hard mounted than just on top of the dash where some loser thief can just grab it
Now you probably dont want to cut your nice shiny dash- but I think it is the best sport only my opinion

in imho
, if ur ride is like mine ,offshore beater , i stand alot when in bigger water , the mount above would be right in ur face , with the lower ram mount , you can swing it out of the way if ur driving sitting down , LOL , yes ive tried it ,and this was the only answer for me ...

my ram is the heavier 1 inch or 1 1/4 in. , it busted , wcvi water ,expensive fix , cracked my molding as well , i have since repositioned the ram mount , seems better now.. LOL
it can happen is all , Just Sayun, LOL

fd

the flat spot I use to have a wellcraft 23 WA same boat pretty much there is nothing more bigger than a pain taking your electronics off everytime you get outa your boat. I should have cut it into the dash and secure it to dash with a locking latch like I have done to my new boat . Its so much better having hit hard mounted than just on top of the dash where some loser thief can just grab it
Now you probably dont want to cut your nice shiny dash- but I think it is the best sport only my opinion

Interesting all around. Thank you to everyone whom commented ... really appreciated.
Pursuit648: You mentioned securing it to the dash with a locking latch. I'm not familiar with those. I'll do a search in the meantime, but if you had a link or pic of what exactly that is I'd certainly be glad to look at it.

I went to Harbour Chandler when I was in Nanaimo and they had multiple locking hinges or latches fo securing doors or cabins I am sure you will find one that will work for you application. you may have to be a bit creative to how to mount it but it is certainly not hard. The idea of electronics not hard mounted scares me. I have had my boat broken into they could not get to my electronics without destroying the electronics or the dash.
It looked to me that your dash hinges so you can access the back -like mine. so thinking that if you hard mount your electronics in the dash you wouldnt want someone to be able to access it easily should they be the people trying to steal it from you.

Back